Thread: B&C Tactical Medalist

Basic Member

B&C Tactical Medalist

Watched the video where a guy from Canada modified his stock, sanding off the "wings " on the front of the fore end. Can these stocks be modified around the pistol grip withought hurting strength greatly? I'm 6'0 and have good size hands, but the pistol grip is to big to be comfortable......has anybody modded the grip on this stock? Thanks for any help, rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

Re: B&C Tactical Medalist

I really dig that guy's mods...there's a link on the interwebs somewhere to a discussion board where he posts frequent updates about his progress.

nuclabuyer

I wouldnt modify them to much. They are foam filled and if you break through the fiber glass, it will be really weak unless you do your own fiberglass patch.

Dirknar

I just sanded the wings off mine and the foam underneath is as hard as a rock.. i felt i didnt remove any strength from that area so i just mixed up some jb weld and spackled it on and gave it some texture.

helotaxi

There's an aluminum rib that runs most of the length of the stock so strength shouldn't be an issue. If you get down into the foam, you'll want ot reseal it. Polyester or epoxy glassing resin should take care of that nicely.

nuclabuyer

The foam on the one I did is soft and really light. I inlet my barrel channel for 1.250 and the router bit ripped right through it. The material has the consistnancy of packing peanut's.

Basic Member

This is what i was wondering about, was the interior material.....with the weight of the stock (heavy to me) it should be a fairly sturdy fill material, and i read about the "skeletal" frame that runs throught the pistol grip...it's just that i either fix the pistol grip, or sell the stock and order a Stocky's LWH thumbhole or Stockade MCL-SL for hundreds of $$$$.....No use keeping what doesn't "feel" right...rsbhunter

Basic Member

I cut the recoil pad, plus 3/4" of the stock off the back of my B & C Medalist Tactical, dropped the heal 3/4", epoxy-ed & screwed it back on, & found everything to be "solid fiberglass" covered in gellcoat. I also contoured the cheek rest, dropping the toe 1/2", & contoured it to match the Ross Thumbhole stock, & found everything to be "solid fiberglass" covered in gell coat. I regell coated this area & painted it. I laid my palm & thumb on the grip, outlined it with a "sharpie", sanded it down until my grip was as comfortable as a "thumbhole" stock, going down 1/2" in some places, & found everything to be "solid fiberglass" covered in gell coat. I regell coated & painted this area.

In the future, I plan to use this process to convert a tactical into a sporter shape because I like the bedding block & aluminum frame, although I know it will be heavy. In doing this, I expect to find solid fiberglass, but if I should encounter "foam" I will let all of you know .

I'm sorry, but I don't do pictures yet, but when I do, I will post some.

This is @ least the second time in the recent past I have posted this information, & my advise to anyone who wants to cut or sand on your B & C Meadlist Tactical, within reason, feel free to do so. Good Luck-Good Shooting :) - Jim

Basic Member

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! This puts aside my fear of messing up a $200.00 stock......Will start designing the mods i want to make...Thanks again...rsbhunter

Basic Member

In my post above, I said "gell coat" but I meant it in the "generic" since. I actually coated the raw fiberglass with polyester resin, then smoothed it & painted those areas with Krylon Flat Green Camo paint, which blended well with my camo stock, giving it a somewhat fancy look. It's a hunting stock & this method served me well. - Jim