Thread: Which Savage 22LR Model do you recommend?

captainjoe

Which Savage 22LR Model do you recommend?

Been looking at the Ruger 10/22 for target shooting as part of rounding out my gun collection. However, as I searched the net, people keep raving about the Savage line of rimfire rifles for accuracy, particularly at long range distances. If you were to recommend one model, what would it be?

Samdweezel05

Re: Which Savage 22LR Model do you recommend?

Accurate they are but I have had to do some tweaking to make it anything close to reliable (mag feed issues and fail to extract). This is the one thing the 10/22 has over the savage in my mind. My Mark II G, even with the skinny barrel, is a shooter. I bought this one to control the local squirrel population but it has turned out to be a very accurate rimfire. It shoots 1/2" groups at 50yds with wolf match ammo and just a tad bigger with the bulk federal from Walmart. If it weren't for the occasional flier from the federal ammo I would use it over anything else. Only parts I have changed are the accutrigger spring to bring the pull down alot.

[img width=600 height=399]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/samdweezel05/shooting/IMAG0006.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

I have a mkII that shoots 3/8" at 50 yards and about 1-1.5" at 100 and that is mostly due to the wind.
    That is with Wolf target match ammo.

captainjoe

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    I have a mkII that shoots 3/8" at 50 yards and about 1-1.5" at 100 and that is mostly due to the wind.
    Thanks for the info. Which of the MKIIs do you have?

Rifleman51

I have a BRJ that has been accurized and it shoots .1" and under .1" on good wind days at 50 yards.
    I have shot one perfect 5 shot group with it.
    The Savages really are accurate and can be made more so very easily, much cheaper than a 10-22.

Try different models at a gunshop and see which one fits you the best. All heavy barrels have the same action and barrel with the exception of the single shot, it does not have a cut out for the magazine which in theory will make the action stiffer. It also comes with Peep sights.

John K

captainjoe

Thanks for this everyone. Does anyone know what the difference is between the BV and the BRJ besides the stock?

Basic Member

The stock and spiral fluted barrel.

Warthog

I have the Mark II BSEV. I also have a .308 Savage with a "Law Enforcement" type stock (10FCP-HS). Savage does make a Mark II with a similar stock to my .308, but it seemed like a soft wood which was painted black. So I went with the BSEV stock. As it is laminated I don't expect issues with the warpage, and I am very happy with the finish and looks, although it will be difficult to sneak up on anything!

As I understand it, Savage is noted for accuracy without spending a lot of $$$. Many companies make .22 rifles, but most do not have good triggers, .....unless you spend $$$$. I also have a Browning BLR lever action .308. After using the Savage for a few months, i tried the Browning again. I thought of asking for a crow-bar to get that trigger back! Big difference!

If you get the BSEV, remember to try is with your ear muffs on. I needed to go to tall scope mounts so my ear muff would clear the stock.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa323/Warthogx0/Savage_MarkII-BSEV_22LR_1.jpg[/img]

Doubles Shooter

Here's a BRJ.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/Dblsshtr/BRJ.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

The one with the plastic stock. I was thinking about selling it if you are interested, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjoe
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    Thanks for the info. Which of the MKIIs do you have?

Basic Member

My Mark II BV shoots really well with Fedearl auto Match from Wal Mart. The bulk Federal 550 box shoots pretty good with the same kinda of occasional flyer as Samdweezel05 mentioned above.

Digi2496

Quote Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter
    Here's a BRJ.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/Dblsshtr/BRJ.jpg[/img]
    Hi, I have the same scope, the Mueller 8-32x44 target dot.... on my AirForce Condor air rifle...
    [img width=600 height=271]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R_yfTtzYOgw/TRIWq-gVyWI/AAAAAAAAAoY/dwLqQzSMQOY/s1280/DSC00576%252520-%252520copia.JPG[/img]

I would like to get a BSEV...... nice stock design ;D

Digi2496

Quote Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter
    Here's a BRJ.
    Hello *Doubles Shooter*, please could you post your best group at 50y????? thx.

mgarr

Hi I have a savage model 64 LR only about 8 years old. love the accuracy but it jams every two or three shots bought a new clip same thing bought expensive ammo, a little better 4to five then jam. can anyone maybe help with suggestions. also had to shim the barrel the one screw doesn't hold it tight. thanks Mike

Ps awsome rifles beautiful