Thread: 45-70 ?

red caddy

45-70 ?

Well, I was having a little "quiet time" at the loading bench last night, (well, OK, very early this morning,LOL) and while cleaning up, I laid a 300 Gr. 45-70 round next to a millsurp .308 Win. and was struck by the similar size and length. When the clutch stopped smokin', I had a vision of a 30 inch octogon barrel, on a short action, with a minimalist style aluminum stock... ( Mr. Cody, meet Buck Rodgers !)

Will the 45-70 fit and function thru the short action? I couldn't find the 45-70 listed as a current factory chambering, in either length action, and a short search by cartridge turned up nothing.

Anybody done this before? Thanks, Paul.

sinman

Re: 45-70 ?

it wont work, but you could take a 458 win mag and load down to 45-70 if you wanted

Basic Member

All the bolt action 45-70s Ive seen were all long actions.
    I owned one of the 45-70 Siamese Mausers in the 70s that was a great bear/hog/moose gun

Eric in NC

Rimmed cartridges won't work in the Savage - 450 marlin or 458x2" are your best bets for 45-70 performance in the Savage. Would still think you would want to go with a long action though.

Has any one on here built a 458 Marlin on your savage action, did it feed all right? I would think you would want at least a 22" barrel with open sites would make a great dark timber or pig gun.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Basic Member

My recent build in 45 ACP can be rechambered and loaded with 450 Bushmaster. It is a 451 rather than 458 which might limit your bullet selection if you are planning on shooting heavy bullets.

Mine has a 17" barrel with ghst ring rear sights and AR type front sights. My wife loves it and can shoot it really well.

Dolomite

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.