Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help the idiot....accuracy issue

chewcudda

please help the idiot....accuracy issue

ok here it is in a nutshell...

11 flns in .308. I cannot get a consistent hit on paper. first thought it was the scope. unmounted and remounted. cleaned all surfaces just like i was told. thought i was letting the barrel get too hot. fired 3 shots let it cool for 15 and tried 3 more. same issue. here is the breakdown:

shot one: 6 inch to the right of dead on
    shot two: 2 inch to the right of dead on
    shot three: 2 inch to the right of dead on

move 1/4 moa scope one click to the left

shot four: 1 inch to the left
    shot five : bullseye
    shot six: 6 inch to the right of dead on
    shot seven:1 inch to left of center
    shot eight: 6 inch to the right of dead on
    shot nine: off the paper to the right
    shot ten: 1 inch to the left of paper

sand bag resting
    scope is a tasco world class 4-16 scope
    ammo is winchester 150 gr. super x power point
    if you need ot know anything else just ask i am at the end of my rope

sinman

Re: please help the idiot....accuracy issue

bad scope, rings still might not be tight (make sure you have the screws for the back in the back and vice versa), action is loose in the stock, stock touch the barrel. Fix and or try those and you should be good.

chewcudda

stiffened the stock with epoxy and lead shot. no barrel touch had my friend watch ot see if i was pulling my shots at the end. thinking about replacing the stock with this

http://rifle-stocks.com/silhouette.htm

[img width=600 height=155]http://rifle-stocks.com/SilhouetteRHSide10inch.jpg[/img]

will try remounting optics again.
    thanks and any more advice is appreciated

Basic Member

+1 bad scope

chewcudda

ok are you saying the tasco scope is a POS or that mine is defective

that scope was the best I could afford with the 4-16 i need to hit at that distance( i am damned near blind from scar tissue on my cornea)

chewy

sinman

defective

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by chewcudda
    ok are you saying the tasco scope is a POS or that mine is defective

that scope was the best I could afford with the 4-16 i need to hit at that distance( i am damned near blind from scar tissue on my cornea)

chewy
    Flash burn more times than I can count and several trips to the ER for chemical burns to my eyes have me in the same boat. I have done the less expensive scopes in the past but I just can't do it anymore. I would bet you have a scope problem. See if you can find a scope that is known to be good and borrow it for 10 shots and see if it works. If all else fails, I have several scopes here that are nothing special but hold zero and have good repeatability that you would be more then welcome to try out if you were willing to pay shipping to and from.

chewcudda

where you located

chewcudda

next question what are some reputable scope makers....i see people talk about leupold but the one of those i had died after 150 rounds and leupold refused to honor the guaranty

stiffened the stock with epoxy and lead shot. no barrel touch had my friend watch ot see if i was pulling my shots at the end. thinking about replacing the stock with this

http://rifle-stocks.com/silhouette.htm

[img width=600 height=155]http://rifle-stocks.com/SilhouetteRHSide10inch.jpg[/img]

will try remounting optics again.
    thanks and any more advice is appreciated

I think the others are right on in their assessments. Just an obsevation here......I'm sorry, but that is one ugly danged stock. :-\
    Kelly

Samdweezel05

where you located
    New York.

Basic Member

next question what are some reputable scope makers....
    Vortex, Sightron, Bushnell, Nightforce are the first 4 i think of and that gives you a really large price range to play with.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

chewcudda

was going to get it in a diff color.....they have a nice grey black laminate. pretty much only options for stocks for me are choate and this one. not many make left/ left rifle stocks.

chewy

Basic Member

That orange stock is awesome! Is it only for rimfires though?

chewcudda

nope can be inletted for pretty much any bolt-action the brown brown and grey black are avaial at discounted price right now. they also have discounted ones for cheap for about 200 rifles on the bargain bin.

as for the scope i may have enough for a bushnell if it turns out to be the scope. the scope was monuted for me by cabelas when i bought the gun. bore sighted also but was way off when i shot it.

chewy

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    That orange stock is awesome! Is it only for rimfires though?
    Really? :D Just looks gawdy to me. Just my opinion though. You know what they say about opinions...... ;D
    Kelly

jinx-)

So you bought it in Cabelas, I own one Tasco Varmint scope 6-24x44, its blur when zoomed pass16x, but I can dial it to 600 then back to 100, so Tasco not holding zero, very possible, I put one on muzleloader it was keeping zero all the time, but then I had accident my stick felt out of tree stand and busted tasco scope on the ladder, so I got same model tasco scope, but it didn't hold zero. So same brand same model and such difference. By the way which Cabelas did you visited, the one in PA or CT? Bargain cave rifle, hmmm I don't trust anything from there, usually anything I get from bargain cave has some issues.

Basic Member

the scope was monuted for me by cabelas!!!!

That could be your problem right there!!!
    Make sure the front base screws aren't bottoming out before getting tight on the base
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

chewcudda

bought the gun and scope at the cabelas in allen tx. newest cabelas just opened about 3 weeks ago. neither the rifle not the scope were bargain cave. will try remounting scope again already tried once. may see if swapping the screws front ot back makes a diff.

ellobo

Some time back a guy at Leupold told me that the most common reason they find for a scope needing repair is overtightened ring mtg screws or rings mounted non-concetric which destroys the internals. One or the other may be your problem. Having your shot to shot wide disparity one to another tells me you definately have a scope problem. One nice thing about iron sights is you can fire a group and if they are decent you know its your scope. Borrow a known good scope and see what happens.

El Lobo

ellobo

Cabellas just might have put a scope mounting rail on meant for a flat back reciever. Just something to check so you dont ruin another scope. New store, new employees who may not know the differnce between a round rear or flat rear Savage reciever.

El Lobo

I had a similiar problem twice:

The screws on the front side of the rail backed out a little. One other time long ago I had the screws get loose on the front ring.

[B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

chewcudda

mine is a two piece ring base that came with the leupold rings. gonna go take the damned thing apart right now cuz you guys are making me paranoid

chewy

jinx-)

go to Cabelas, last year they had Nikon Prostuff for 110 -150 bucks you&#39;ll find lenses are much better then Tasco, plus you get lifetime warranty, you can also buy Leupold or Redfield by the way those Redfields are great! Get yourself one piece base, get it bedded get some nice rings, like Leupold or Burris, then clean you rfle, get yourself one piece cleaning rod, like Tipton, then bore guide, throw away your metal brushes, use nylon, get yourself some KG-2 bore restore and KG-12 copper remover I would also can recomend KG-1 carbon remover and KG-3 to flush everything, remove copper then polish those machine marks in your tube, get some 168 gr Federal Match or even better M118LR, remember 308 with 1:10 twist likes heavy bullets. Well if all fails call savage send you rifle for repairs, or you can skip all messing around send it to savage if they confirm it can shoot then you have something to work on, shipping probably will cost you 20 bucks.

jinx-)

Can you take picture of your crown, I just got model 12 LRP crown on it is unfinished, I think it causes fliers, but I&#39;m within 1" @ 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast