Thread: LC green Tip Ammo Steel Core

LC green Tip Ammo Steel Core

Has anyone used this ammo on P Dogs, Ground Hogs or feral hogs is it worth it want it for the LC brass and for plinking

Senderofan

Re: LC green Tip Ammo Steel Core

Well....I'd be a little concerned about the ricochet ( ?Sp ) potential there. Plus....more and more LC brass is coming on the market. I just got an order for 1000 brand new
    LC cases from Natchez:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...6UPB&src=tpCtg

The steel core will make sure those little critters with Kevlar vests are dead....but you might want to consider buying the new brass and loading ballistic tips for a more dramatic effect :).

Wayne

P.S.

My comments are not meant to be snarky....I would just be concerned about those steel cores bouncing off rocks or really hard ground and striking something you didn't intend to destroy....Just want folks to stay safe.

Samdweezel05

Probably wouldn't have the performance you are looking for unless the P dogs are hiding behind armor plate.

SMK Shoe

+1 on ricochet, also been using green tip for alot of years ( 24 years active duty and counting) and accuracy is not great. In a AR that usually shoot 1/2" @ 100 with good reloads the green tip gives me about 2-2 1/2" groups. Just never seen good accuracy out of it.

rez187

the problem with the 62 gr ss109 is the same on animals that our soldiers have had in iraq/afganistan that is it was intended to defeat russian soft body armor on a nato battlefield. well a haji in robes or a hog unless hit just right it squirts right through with little to very small wound channel. so the answer is it is the worst choice you can make as a hunting round, even a fmj has a little better chance of causing a larger wound channel. now if you have to shoot a hog standing behind a brick wall well have at it.

showgun

I have shot a few coyotes with green tip and they fall just as fast as when I use a fancy bullet. I wouldn't shoot anything larger than that though as it wouldn't be an ethical shot. For p-dogs... shoot what you can get your hands on! Last summer I had to revert to my .45 because both 22-250's, both .223's and the .308 were dry...!!!

SO green tip is out I'll get something else to shoot