Thread: 243 sight in

stone knife

243 sight in

Hello, I just purchased a new to me mod. 16 accu trigger in 243. I sighted it in at 50 yards at home, it's hitting center about 2" low. is that a good start I plan on going to a friends he has a longer range so I can try different yardage. I just wanted it close, can I assume that it will hit higher at 100 yards? any idea how much.

Samdweezel05

Re: 243 sight in

I want to say that my .22-250 is about 4inches low at 50 when zeroed at 100. You should be on the paper either way.

Basic Member

depends on the distance from crosshairs to line of bore

Basic Member

At 50 yds, no matter what, I generally like em about 1" high.

Basic Member

You will have to shoot at longer rage to find POI.

Remember no matter what cal-the bullet is still rising at 50 yards. I tell shooters at the publice range and some of em seem to want to fight cause 'that is not true'.. Mine seem to be higher at 100 than 50. Maybe mine are wacko!!

bubbinator

My favorite time of year is 12/26! That is the day all the new gun owners go to ranges /gravel pits and shoot boxes of ammo @ 100yds to zero new guns and leave brass on the ground. I have collected 1000s of cases. Off a good rest, paying attention to sight picture/trigger press/etc. shoot 1 round at a 25yd. target. Make a sight correction to bring the next shot dead on @ 25 yds(remember 1/4" @ 100 means X4 at 25). Shoot another round. If it is not exactly at point of aim, adjust again and shoot #3. You should be dead on now. Mark those holes/new target and move it to 100 yds. Again-careful aim/marksmanship-fire one shot. Note the hit. Now, with a final adjustment for your desired POI-adjust the scope and shoot a group of 3. If you do it right you just zeroed your riflr @ 100 yds to your desired POI for under 10 rds of ammo. Now you can practise with confidence in realistic hunting positions.

tyler.woodard04

the bullet never rises from leaving the muzzle. the muzzle angle may be pointed up, and usually always is. its a trajectory and line of sight thing. the farther off the center line of the bore the center of the scope is the more it screws with you on the closer shots due to angles.

I typically sight in to be .25" or so low at 25 yards. Usually if you are dead on at 25 yards then you will end up way too high at 100. Depending on the speed of the bullet and distance between the centerline of the bore and the centerline of the scope I have seen them up to 8" high at 100 after being sighted dead on at 25. Now as Tyler stated, if your barrel is perfectly level then your bullet will not rise. Don't worry, no one shoots with the barrel level, they are always angled up slightly and the bullet will always rise because of this, well until gravity overcomes momentum and it starts to drop.

I would get get closer to zero at 50 than 2" low. If your centerline difference is 2" or less, you will actually be lower at 100 than you are at 50. I would give it 8-12 clicks up before I shot at 100.
    More shooting, less typing.

seanhagerty

The right answer is to input your rifle and load information in a ballistics calculator like JBM or Sierra's (including scope height above the bore), and calculate where you want your rifle and load zero'd. Then go and look and see where the round should impact at 25 yds. The rest is easy, just adjust your bullet point of impact to hit at that point at 25 yds, and you should be zero'd and your desired range.

Sean

For what it's worth:

I just sighted in my new 6mm (243), zeroed in at 50.

At 100 I was about 5" high!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

airaddict

for my 308, i would zero at about 32 yrds and by my ballistics (2625 fps) i would be dead on at about 265 yrds and about 2" high at 100. so i could hit within 3" + or - out to 300 yrds which i never shoot. now when i shoot 400 yrds and low 28" cuz of the fat 150gr loads i shoot at a lower velocity.

now i have a cds lupy scope and all i do is zero at 100, at 50 first to get on paper, and my turret does the thinking for me out to 550 yrds. my 110gr vmax loads that run at 3175fps adjust to about 700 yrds if i remember correctly.

brian b