Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25-06AI Fans

Basic Member

Re: 25-06AI Fans

I've killed quite a few deer with the 25-06 all but a few have been inside 80 yards, so the impact velocity has bee pretty high, most have been hit with a 100gr nolser partition, a few with the 100gr sierra prohunter and 1 with the older Barnes X- bullet 100gr (pre tsx) and a couple with the hornady 117 SST. Inside 100 yards the ProHunter never exits even shot mid-line behind the shoulders, and for the most part you find very little or no bullet left. The 117's aren't much better. Most shots I get are frontal/quartering on/ quartering away, the 100 gr X-bullet entered behind the ribs and lodged in the neck (busted 1 or 2 peddles off the bullet). With the partition the front half of the bullet is gone and the back of it is balled up under the hide some where on the opposite side of the deer, except on broad side thru the ribs, always exits, the hole about .25 caliber. I've been watching this thread to see how that new 80gr TTSX 25 cal bullets been working for you guys, I plan on giving that one a run next season. It's my opinion your loosing the peddels after contacting the shoulder bones be it the blades or knuckles, if not there just about spent when the hit the opposite side hide, stretch it and pop out same thing if the peddles are still attached, but I would almost bet the peddles are coming off and that would only leave about 40gr left traveling ?

Re: 25-06AI Fans

Y'all are prolly right about the petals. I remember reading about this somewhere before... now that it has been brought up....

I also remember that it wasn't considered a problem because the base of the bullet continued on (as the evidence seems to bear out) and still did substantial damage as well as the petals open additional wound channels...........so I've read.

I still haven't gotten a on game trial as of yet......but hope to before the season closes.

Last year I used a 110grn Accubond to take a nice 6 pointer.......it performed very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12