Thread: Considering CDI DBM build...SF or CF action?

Considering CDI DBM build...SF or CF action?

Thinking about building a tactical-style rifle with CDI bottom metal for AICS magazines.

I see CDI has a product for both staggerfeed & centerfeed short actions...is there any advantage to one over the other?

Hawk45

Re: Considering CDI DBM build...SF or CF action?

You have to get the one that matches your action. Your action will be either center feed or stagger feed. Do some research on what version of action you have. Action screw spacing should give you a clue.

...I know that.

I also have both 4.27 SF and 4.41 CF actions in my possession.

Just curious if there are any advantages to using one type of action over the other for an aftermarket DBM build. CDI making bottom metal for both makes it a moot point I suppose, but I'm a "path of least resistance" kind of guy, so if one is "less work" than the other I'll go that route.

Maybe decide with which action you can get more of the kind of stocks you want. Just an Idea.

Otherwise, the only thought I would have is that there are more CF actions available right now (new) than SF so if there is a chance that the mag setup will end up on a future build you may wanna go CF. May be "Less Work" down the road.

Mostly stating the obvious I guess, but its ussually the obvious stuff that gets over-looked.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

VjjR

You cant get a b&c duramaxx for the 4.41 action. That kinda sucks, but other than that i don't know of any others.

tipper999

AI mags are CF only, 5rnd & 10rnd
    AW mags are SF only, cost more but have a little more OAL, only 10 rnd
    I would check with CDI on this to make sure

VjjR

just because a rifle comes from the factory as a staggered or center feed doesn't necessarily mean it wont feed from the opposing time of mag

Basic Member

I am considering ordering some of their bottom metal for builds as well, but they are not cheap. there is only 1 size bottom metal opening correct? then they rearrange the spacers for 300WM, 308win, & I hope 223.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

jwpark

Why not wait for the new AI mag bottom metal from Savage arms

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwpark

what's that?!?!?!?!?! do tell more... and will it fit the long actions? what about 110e's chambered for 308& 223?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

VjjR

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    what's that?!?!?!?!?! do tell more... and will it fit the long actions? what about 110e's chambered for 308& 223?
    it doesn't currently look like a long action thing. only the 338 LM and the 4.4" modern short actions. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg292573

Jackpine

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    Quote Originally Posted by jwpark

Just joined, great forum.

I noticed this on the Savage site: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/M10FCP10

Looks like it may be an AI mag from the mag release. Haven't found out much more about this model though. Anyone else?

Uncle Jack

Interesting configuration on the trigger guard, too. For those of us who live in areas where we wear gloves half the year, I like to see that on more rifles.

uj