Thread: Is this optics or ammo????

Johnnyboy

Is this optics or ammo????

I have a stevens200 .308 with EGW 0moa base, Warne maxima rings and Bushnell 4200 scope. When shooting different ammo at only 100 yds I come to the conclusion that Lapua match ammo ( 168 and 185 gr ) trajectory is so different ( this means at least 20" lower ) as other ammo. With this configuration I am at the max UP setting from the scope and still between 4" and 8". Has someone experienced this also?

SMK Shoe

Re: Is this optics or ammo????

Has this happened a few times or just once. I would look at optics first. Most issues like this are optics. For that barrel to be off 20" with a different lot of ammo is hard to imagine. A couple inches maybe, but a 20" change in POI.

helotaxi

Take the scope off the rifle and take the mount off as well. Make sure that all the mating surfaces are clean. Remount everything making sure that you have solid metal to metal contact. You can add a few drops of Loctite under the base if you want. When you remount the rings make sure you get full and solid contact between the base and the bottom of the rings. Same when you put the scope in the rings.

If you have another scope that you know is good, give it a try once you've confirmed that the base and rings are good to go. If that fixes the problem, send your 4200 to Bushnell to get fixed. If that doesn't solve the problem try a different base and/or different rings (or swap the rings front to back) or lap the rings. If it demonstrates the same problem with different scope, rings and base, the rifle needs to go back to Savage because the receiver is bored crooked.

Johnnyboy

willdo, thks

Basic Member

First question should be "does the rifle maintain a good group with the other ammo you did not name?" If so i would suspect the lapua ammo. If not then i would start looking elsewhere such as the scope, rings, bases and on into the barrel and receiver. It is not uncommon for different brands and/or lots of ammo to group differently. 20 inches is a bit much but not knowing if the gun/scope combination is shooting good groups it is hard to know where to start looking. I would look into a 10 or 20 moa rail to get your crosshairs nearer to center but would look at different ammo first.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

ajlandis

I'd shoot a 6 or 10 shot string using both types of ammo. Shoot each type alternately. Ammo 'A' would be shots 1, 3, 5, 7 & 9. Ammo 'B' would be shots 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10. If you have two distinct groups, your set-up is just fine. Pick the ammo that shoots the best. If it is the lapua, we'll help you get your rig set up to suit that ammo.

Johnnyboy

Yesterday I finally looked at the rifle, and indeed, the 2 fore screws of the base were loose (???? )- (I swear I had them loctited). This morning I went to the stand and my 308 load, Vihtavuori N140 41,5 gr and Sierra 168 HPBT ( average of 2530 fps ), marked a group of .75" at 100 mts with the totally centered scope. The original Lapua match 185 gr ( 2420 fps ) made a group of 1,5" about 3 " lower and 1.5 " to the right without touching the scope. Thanks to all the ideas you all put forward.
    regards from Spain,
    Juan