Thread: Savage Accutrigger Safety Question

Ben-in-WA

Savage Accutrigger Safety Question

I was function testing the safety on my Savage 10 FLCP-K after removing and replacing the stock. I was a little surprised at what I found.

The rifle has an Accutrigger with the 3-position safety. I tested the second (safe, bolt unlocked) and third (safe, bolt locked) positions by cocking the rifle, placing it in safe, and squeezing the trigger hard. In both cases the sear would drop when I moved the safety to the first position (fire).

When I did this test with the factory setting on the trigger the Accurelease did NOT engage.

When I repeated this test with higher settings on the trigger pull the results were the same, except that the Accurelease DID engage.

Are these results typical? ???

I want to make sure the safety on my rifle is not defective.
    Thanks for any replies in advance.

helotaxi

Re: Savage Accutrigger Safety Question

Not even remotely understanding what you're saying.

iamsniper1

Had a similar problem like yours due to previous owner's ignorance/neglect.
    Make sure the trigger adjustment spring is seated into hole on the tang,mine was not,
    I installed a new spring,still had problems.
    Removed trigger blade and spring,polished trigger group,problem solved.
    Trigger breaks at a crisp 2lbs,unless you are a BR shooter,1.5 or less is asking for trouble in the field.
    Of course this is just my opinion,I may be wrong.

Basic Member

One of my non-accu LA's did that last night.

It would work prefectly outside of the stock but as soon as I slipped it back in ......... the sear would not hold.

I had to remove and re-install the barreled action a few times to get the kinks worked out.

In my case I think the culprit is a wee bit of stock interferring with the action.

Three 44s

Ben-in-WA

Here is a youtube video showing the problem.

"Savage Safety Problem, how to fix?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYI-ft7Y_o8

The gun will fire in the second position (safe, bolt unlocked).

I will take a good look at the springs on the trigger. I don't have another savage center fire so I don't really have anything to compare this with.

I am going to have to send the rifle to Savage if I can't figure this out.

Thanks again,
    Ben

Does it do the same thing if you take it out of the stock and try it? Thinking maybe it may be binding or part of the stock is hitting the sear or something.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Ben-in-WA

I did take the stock off the rifle and test the trigger again. It would still fire in the safe/bolt-unlocked position.

So, I proceeded to remove the trigger from the receiver and take a closer look.

When you slide the safety from fire to safe/bold-unlock or safe/bolt-locked there is a bar of metal that slides along with the safety button on the under side of the receiver. On the trigger there is a screw. When the safety is in the fire position, the safety cannot contact the screw and the trigger has a full range of motion. If you pull it, then the sear will fall. When the safety is on then the safety will contact the screw and the trigger is blocked from moving. Without movement, then the sear cannot fall.

I will try and update the movie with the picture I took at the end.

If you look between the spring that is used for trigger pull adjustment and the spring that keeps the Accurrelease/trigger blade in place you can see it. It points up towards the receiver.

I am assuming that this screw is factory adjusted because I see no way of adjusting it myself.

Unfortunately, I did not function check the safety before I took off the stock. That being said, I don't see any way that I could have caused this screw to move. Therefore, I am assuming that it came set like this from the factory.

Right now I believe that there is to much space between the safety and the screw, which allows the sear to move and fire when the rifle is in safe/bolt-unlocked position and the trigger is pulled.

Looks like I will have an chance to experience Savage customer service.

Basic Member
    Anyone find a solution for this? I am having the same issue.

Banned
    You should have made a new thread, LOL! This thread is SO OLD!

What exactly is YOUR trigger doing. Please explain it better than the above.

Basic Member
    I made a new thread and yes I should have skipped bringing this one back up. My bad guys