Thread: Kevin Rayhill and Stockade Gunstocks

nsaqam

Kevin Rayhill and Stockade Gunstocks

I was considering a Stockade Sporter as an alternative to the McMillan Classic I intended to order.

I have talked to Kevin before and he really likes to talk. That's all well and good but he spent altogether too much time calling Fred Moreo (Sharpshooter) a hack and an idiot for my liking.

I put my distaste aside and called him today to inquire about lead time and to get info on his stock. I told him I was considering a McMillan as well as his Stockade. Right away Kevin says "That's an easy decision, the McMillan isn't half the stock that mine is, they're junk." I immediately told him that he'd just made my mind up for me and that I was going with the McMillan.
    I fully expect a businessman to promote his wares and would have happily listened to his entire sales pitch had he not felt it important to slam one of the finest stockmakers in the nation.
    Add this to his negative and demeaning statements about Fred Moreo and his vocal disdain for going nutless and he strikes me as a person I'll never do business with.

I ordered a McMillan today for $470.50 shipped.

Dirknar

Re: Kevin Rayhill and Stockade Gunstocks

At least you got ahold of him.. I called a few times the last couple of days and no answer.. No answering machine, just no answer, no nothin just ring,ring,ring.. Im sure they are busy but I also emailed last week about the availability of the stocks(wait time).. He replied , just today, we make them everyday call in to order one.. HAHA.. I tried.. And that didnt answer my question anyways..

I ordered a B&C.

My experience with that fellow mirrors yours exactly, and I never felt a need or a desire to call there again as well

Everything personal aside his stocks are very nice for the money. I have one of his PDS/T that I bought in the money saver version for $230. It improved my groups over the stock Savage stock. I would definitely buy again if I had a need for one. They are lightweight yet very durable and stiff. The other part I like is they are made to your specs. Mine has a 1" longer LOP and was shipped without sling swivel studs because I wanted them in a very specific place.

We, Kevin and I, had spent a lot of time talking about life as well as him talking about Fred. I am sure if I could talk to Fred I would get the other side of the story. There is two sides to every story and the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Dolomite

He answered every one of my calls , made me a grerat lefty stock, was affordable, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ofdscooby
    He answered every one of my calls , made me a grerat lefty stock, was affordable, and fast.
    +1

Had a great experience with Kevin. Love my lefty stock.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Have a woodchuck on order with him right now. Actually he said it should ship this week but sadly it appears it has not. I think the end of this week put it right at his 16wk mark if I'm counting right. He was great to talk to and hard to get off the phone. lol I'm sure it will be a great stock when it shows.

nsaqam

It's not his products I have a problem with.

It's the way he feels it necessary to demean other fine manufacturers and gunsmiths.

Which of you would say that McMillan stocks are junk?

Which of you would say Fred Moreo knows nothing about Savage rifles and say that he's a hack and a fool?

Which of you would say that fitting a barrel the way that barrels have been fitted for centuries is foolish?

Glad you guys have had good luck with his products but the way he conducts business means that he'll never see a penny of my money.

You're entitled to your opinion. So is Kevin. Why are you trying to crucify him for his?

I can respect other people's opinions without agreeing with them.

Since you asked for my opinion, here is is.

I'm not a fan of McMillan's. They are not junk, just way overpriced for what they are.

I'm not a fan of Fred's. He knows his stuff, but runs his business poorly. Why don't you ask Fred what he thinks of Kevin?

Going nutless is a waste of time. You might as well buy a Remington.

Kevin can run his business any way he wants. You don't like they way he does it so you moved on.

Good for you. Free market economy in action.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

M 2 cents . . . .

I have done busness with both . . .

Both were prefessional . . . I recieved quality stocks from both . . . I like both stocks

I will do business with both of them again.

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    You're entitled to your opinion. So is Kevin. Why are you trying to crucify him for his?

I can respect other people's opinions without agreeing with them.

Since you asked for my opinion, here is is.

I'm not a fan of McMillan's. They are not junk, just way overpriced for what they are.

I'm not a fan of Fred's. He knows his stuff, but runs his business poorly. Why don't you ask Fred what he thinks of Kevin?

Going nutless is a waste of time. You might as well buy a Remington.

Kevin can run his business any way he wants. You don't like they way he does it so you moved on.

Good for you. Free market economy in action.

You obviously feel differently but a business demeaning their competitors makes you look petty and desperate and makes me question how sound their product is if the merits of that product aren't enough to sell it.

My McMillan cost me about the same money that a custom painted Stockade would cost and my stock has the color molded in rather than painted on. It also has the same lead time.
    It is also much lighter and doesn't rely on an aluminum block as a crutch to provide stiffness.

Kevin didn't demean the way Fred runs his business he demeaned Fred's knowledge and skill. You said yourself that Fred knows Savages and how to work on them.

Going nutless is not pointless to me because I much prefer that method to the cheap and ungainly nut on my rifles. I have the skill and equipment to go nutless and that's what I choose.
    BTW, I do own Remingtons, Brownings, Mausers, and other rifles which are all nutless. The nut is merely a device to allow unskilled labor to set the headspace on the production line.