Thread: Good Factory Ammo for 116 300 Win Mag

captainjoe

Good Factory Ammo for 116 300 Win Mag

I just bought a 116 FHSS 300 Win Mag for hunting elk. The 300 Win Mag is new to me, so I wondered if anyone could recommend factory loads that they have found particularly good results from in terms of accuracy in an unmodified factory built Savage. I assume something around an 180 gr. or larger bullet is in order.

After I shoot a bit, I will start experimenting with my own handloads, but for now I need to buy a few boxes of ammo to get started.

T.I.A.

iamsniper1

Re: Good Factory Ammo for 116 300 Win Mag

Depends how much money you want to spend for a "few boxes",going rate per box $28 to about $72 dollars,
    165gr to 200gr,take your pick.You are going to have to do more than just "a bit of shooting" with various brands,
    and bullet weights for a successful elk hunt.

captainjoe

Quote Originally Posted by iamsniper1
    Depends how much money you want to spend for a "few boxes",going rate per box $28 to about $72 dollars,
    165gr to 200gr,take your pick.You are going to have to do more than just "a bit of shooting" with various brands,
    I am aware of the costs... I am aware of what it takes to get ready for a hunt.... thanks for the advice.

The purpose of my posting is that in the other calibers that I shoot, I have found some factory loads to be better in terms of working with my gear. Rather than just pick something out of the air, I was curious if anyone had any favorites.

Once I get the dies and some brass pulled together for hand loading, my experimentation will really begin. ;D But until then, I need some factory ammo.

Thanks for the help.

iamsniper1

Quote Originally Posted by captainjoe
    I am aware of the costs... I am aware of what it takes to get ready for a hunt.... thanks for the advice.

The purpose of my posting is that in the other calibers that I shoot, I have found some factory loads to be better in terms of working with my gear. Rather than just pick something out of the air, I was curious if anyone had any favorites.

Once I get the dies and some brass pulled together for hand loading, my experimentation will really begin. ;D But until then, I need some factory ammo.

Thanks for the help.
    Google a few hunting sites (300 Win Mag for elk)seems 165gr to 180gr is the top choice,as far as brands go,to each his/hers own.

captainjoe

Google a few hunting sites (300 Win Mag for elk)seems 165gr to 180gr is the top choice,as far as brands go,to each his/hers own.
    I'm not the sharpest knife in the Savage forum drawer, but I do know how to use Google (and have been).

My point is, with my other brands of firearms, I have discovered that there are factory types of ammo and weights of bullets that just seem to shoot better than others. When asked on other forums, I have been glad to share this information to other users just starting out so that they have some place to start. This is why I came here. I just bought a Savage and I was hoping information besides costs of ammo, what I need to do to prepare for hunting and using Google to find what I want. I was just hoping for a steer in the right direction in what people found seemed to shoot better on a stock 116 300 Win Mag, rather than me just taking a guess.

Thanks for the help anyhow... I do agree with you on the bullet weight.

I am going my first ever elk hunt this fall, From what I read a partition bullet is best choice but not necessary.
    Nosler partition is what I bought
    newbie from gr, mi.

captainjoe

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex
    I am going my first ever elk hunt this fall, From what I read a partition bullet is best choice but not necessary.
    Nosler partition is what I bought
    Thanks for this. I'll put it on my short list.

davidw

Check out Black Hills ammo....even the remanufactured stuff is good....my .02

bgc

I have been using factory loaded Hornady SST in 165 and 180.