Thread: 12FV .223 Pillar Bedded Stock?

terry_g

12FV .223 Pillar Bedded Stock?

I took the my 12FV's receiver out of the stock last weekend to make an adjustment to the Accu-Trigger.
    Savage claims that the 12FV is pillar bedded. Of the two pillars that are moulded into the plastic stock
    the rear one is flat where it holds the magazine to a flat spot on the receiver. The front one is also flat
    on top and does not contact the round bottom of the receiver. It is about .020" below the plastic surface so the
    stock will compress when the screw is tightened.
    If it is truly pillar bedded should not both the pillars fit the shape of the receiver and make contact
    with the receiver when it is properly installed in the stock?

Terry

82boy

Re: 12FV .223 Pillar Bedded Stock?

Quote Originally Posted by terry_g
    Savage claims that the 12FV is pillar bedded.
    Savage makes no claim of this on any of there rifles, and none of them come from the factory beded. Yes they do come with steel pillars in the stocks.

higgite

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by terry_g
    Savage claims that the 12FV is pillar bedded.
    Savage makes no claim of this on any of there rifles, and none of them come from the factory beded. Yes they do come with steel pillars in the stocks.

New member here. Proud owner of a new Model 25LV-T in .223 Rem. I know this thread is a couple of months old, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

The specification tables in Savage's 2011 catalog show quite a few models that are pillar bedded, including the OP's 12FV. The catalog is available online.

jinx-)

I got their benchrest stock with 3 pillars, none have contact with the receiver:

[img width=600 height=402]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4330/savpillar.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=290]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/343/savpillar1.jpg[/img]

no matter what torque I use on the action screws have no effect on grouping, actually it works better without middle action screw, because pillar bedding should be done on exact action to align them correctly and relieve pressure from the receiver. To fix this I would have to drill them out and perform proper pillar-glass bedding, meanwhile I shoot it with 2 action screws.