Thread: New Savage 11 Light Weigth Hunter Barrel Question?

Team Savage

New Savage 11 Light Weigth Hunter Barrel Question?

Anyone seen one of these new Savage 11 LWH models in person? Is the 20" barrel a standard sporter barrel contour with small shank? Trying to find out if the new Savage LWH action could be used as a switch barrel platform with the current 22" factory sporter/small shank barrels? Thanks.

Basic Member

Re: New Savage 11 Light Weigth Hunter Barrel Question?

Well so far i haven't seen or heard of anybody having one one except for a gun rag review in .308. I have been waiting and looking for going on three months now and nothing. I was going to build my own with the barrel i got from you, but think i will just wait it out and see what they turn out to be. In fact the reason i logged on now is to list that barrel since i'm not going to use it. blue

Team Savage

I dont see why it could not be used as a switch barrel action.
    Better ask SSS to make sure
    but I would assume the barrel thread is the same.

From what I understand the difference is the action is milled to reduce weight, the bolt is fluted and it has a lighter barrel.

sinman

I would bet money that it is the same and you could make one from a std Savage too.

Basic Member

I held it in my hands at the SHOT show. The barrel contour is smaller than a standard sporter. Although the receiver is milled in places, they saved very little weight by doing so. The biggest weight savings came from using a plastic magazine frame and plastic bottom cap. The walnut stock is hollowed out with slots and the overall contour has been slimmed about 1/4" all over. This stock and standard tupperware stock are only an ounce apart.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Fred,

Can you do any milling on Savage Receivers for weight reduction? Let me know if you can or know of someone who can. I have plans to build and ultralight 6.5 Grendel.

Dirknar

Grendel? Why not go with the creedmoor or 260?

Basic Member

Like I said before, the milling on the receiver saved very little weight, no more than 2 oz.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Bigfoot

Thanks Fred. Finally we get some information on these.

Team Savage

Thanks for your input Fred. I've been fooling with trying to build a light weight, compact hunting rifle for several years. I tried a couple of Remington model 7's (.260 & .308), but I did not get the accuracy and switch barrel flexibility of a Savage. I could not figure out how Savage got to the advertised 5.5 lb, walnut stocked rifle with a DBM. My current unstocked Savage SA with SSS recoil lug and .308 factory barrel cut back to 20" weights 4 lbs, 2 oz. Add 14 oz to the package if you use the current metal DBM assembly and metal trigger guard for a starting unstocked weight of 5 lbs.

My 20" cut factory sporter barrel weights 2 lb, 4 oz. Switching to a #1 contour, 20" barrel would reduce the weight by about 5 ounces. Milling the action and bolt would reduces the weight by another 3 oz according to Fred's estimates. And if the Savage LWH hunter has a plastic trigger guard, magazine frame, and bottom plate, you would save another 10 ounces based on my calculations. That brings the unstocked weight down to around 4 lbs leaving around 1.5 lbs for the weight of the stock. It is possible to reduced the weight of a Boyd's Classic walnut stock to just below 2 lbs by shortening the forend and hollowing out the buttstock.

In summary, a blind magazine box and follower weights about 4 oz compared to 12 oz for the metal drop box magazine and assembly. Switching to a 20" #1 contour barrel reduce the weight 6 to 8 oz over a 22" factory sporter barrel. As Fred stated, I don't think milling the current Savage action is going to save much weight. The Savage factory plastic stock with blind magazine is as light as it gets without removing a lot of wood from a walnut stock. If you like composite stocks, then a Bell and Carlson or Stockade are around 2 lbs verses 12 lbs, 12 oz for a Boyd's "featherweight" (?) thumbhole stock.

Basic Member

JP the true weight of the 11 lwh is the $64 question for me. I have one on order when they start showing show up, however it would be nice to see a review that lists the true weight before i drop my money on it. The only review i have seen so far didn't list the weight and i think that will be a key factor in buying one for people like myself.

If we simply knew when it would be out and the true weight it would help alot as to whether we want to buy this model or perhaps a different one. blue

Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    My 20" cut factory sporter barrel weights 2 lb, 4 oz.
    How much weight did you remove by cutting off 2" ?

How much does the factory plastic stock weigh?

I agree with you that if a fella doesn't need the drop magazine he could come close to matching the LWH stated weight with a modified Stevens. I'm kicking it around because I'm not sure I want the LWHs pencil thin barrel.

This guy makes 1 lb. stocks, don't see a Savage one though. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Custom-Rifles.html

"The stocks are also manufactured by Oregunsmithing. They are constructed exclusively of kevlar carbon fiber cloth and special resins with steel reinforcing pins and aluminum backers for the swivel studs. The recoil pad is integrated into the construction of the stock. The finished stocks with recoil pad weigh less than 1 pound. "

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    My 20" cut factory sporter barrel weights 2 lb, 4 oz.
    How much weight did you remove by cutting off 2" ? On a factory sporter barrel, you'll drop a little less than 2 oz per inch removed. A 22" McGowen custom barrel in #1 contour that I owned weighed 2 lbs, 0.5 oz for comparison. Though thin, It shot very good. I was hoping the same would be true with the Savage LWH.

How much does the factory plastic stock weigh? About 26 to 28 ounces if I remember correctly.

I agree with you that if a fella doesn't need the drop magazine he could come close to matching the LWH stated weight with a modified Stevens. I'm kicking it around because I'm not sure I want the LWHs pencil thin barrel.

This guy makes 1 lb. stocks, don't see a Savage one though. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Custom-Rifles.html Manners makes a light weight stock inletted for the Savage, but it cost more than I want to spend on an aftermarket stock.

"The stocks are also manufactured by Oregunsmithing. They are constructed exclusively of kevlar carbon fiber cloth and special resins with steel reinforcing pins and aluminum backers for the swivel studs. The recoil pad is integrated into the construction of the stock. The finished stocks with recoil pad weigh less than 1 pound. "

Bigfoot

I just got an email response from Oregon Gunsmithing. The owner is an ex state trooper and I've read nothing but good recommendations over the years. Gotta admit $600 installed and bedded is spendy but it'll turn any Savage/Stevens into an ultralight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We do make stocks for the Savage. In fact, every model we make is available for a Savage, in both left and right hand. We do not sell pre-inletted blanks for the Savage. We have to do the installation.

We use a stock inletted for Remington, then modify and bed the Savage into it at our facility. The cost is $595, plus shipping and you a perfectly bedded and free-floated rifle in the custom stock.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Wayne York"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bigfoot

Ah, thanks jpdown. I hadn't noticed that you added information in the quote box. I just thought that you liked that post so much that you saved it for posterity. :D

Looks like the Manners stock weighs the same as the tupperware.

Team Savage

Here are some weights

If you have an 18" pencil barrel made, use ultralight rings, 2-7x scope, and a
    tupperware stock you would be good to go with a stevens action. Should weigh about 6.5# total dry
    with scope.

Short action Stevens CF with bolt Weaver base and machined lug with mag - 35 oz
    SA tupperware stock - 29 oz
    SA duromax stock - 43 oz
    19" 308 sporter barrel and nut - 35.5 oz

Long action SS flat back with bolt EGW base, no lug, w mag and action screws - 36 oz
    Factory recoil lug - .8oz
    Machined recoil lug - 1.2 oz

LA tupperware stock w some epoxy - 32 oz
    LA duromax stock - 44 oz

2-7x VX-1 leupold scope - 11 oz
    1-4x VX-2 - 9 oz

Burris extreme rings, 1/2" - 6 oz

Bigfoot

Wish someone offered an aluminum bolt handle.

I have a couple of Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight scopes with ballistic dots that weight 8.8 oz.