Thread: Young Canadian Woman Killed by Coyotes....

doegirl

Young Canadian Woman Killed by Coyotes....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570052,00.html
    Canadian Teenager Dies After Coyote Attack

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

TORONTO — Two coyotes attacked a Canadian woman while she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central American to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

down2kill

Re: Young Canadian Woman Killed by Coyotes....

this is sad, and they say that it is unlikely to repeat. if it happened once then they are probally over populated and will keep happening until thinnd out. something is wrong when a coyote is not scared of human scent.

outlawkyote

You Canadian boys better get off your duffs and put the fear back into your wildlife!!

Basic Member

Probably stems from not being able to hunt them in the park she was in. Anywhere people can't hunt them, they will start hunting people.

wasajco

Reminds me of California where the cougars attack bikers and people on trails. No guns, that would be wrong, and the idiots in the government tell you to do all sorts of ridiculous things to protect yourself. Me, it's 230gr. hardball, 11rds. in the XD45. When I KNOW I'm going to the woods/grasslands, it's the full 14rds. I love WY.

There was a reason folks cleared out wolves, cougars, (Indians ) and all that type of stuff when they were goin west back in the day.....now the damn tree & bunny huggers think we can all just "get along"....... after all, they are just poor misunderstood animals..... ::)

There most likely a lot more to this story, say did she think she was feeding a stray doggy, or was snacking on something when this attack happened.
    They DO HAVE COMPLETE GUN CONTROL IN CANADA

doegirl

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    There most likely a lot more to this story, say did she think she was feeding a stray doggy, or was snacking on something when this attack happened.
    They DO HAVE COMPLETE GUN CONTROL IN CANADA
    I don't really think there is any more to add to the story. But I do have a theory as to why the yotes attacked her. Looking at her pic, she looks pretty petite, I'm guessing she might have been 5'3", maybe less. She also had a high pitched voice. Small stature, high pitched voice (think distress call) is why small children are frequently targeted by predators. If she was singing, that was every bit as good as a rabbit distress call to those hungry coyote ears.

hmmmmm..........maybe play some "high pitched singing" at a kyote set? ;D

outlawkyote

When my son was a baby, I always wanted to set him about 50 feet in front of me n poke him with a stick ;D
    He sounded just like my rabbit in distress. The wife didnt think it was a good idea though >

I think he woulda grown up tuffer if I would have.

doegirl

Quote Originally Posted by Apache
    ugggh, bad :D Look at this way, I've got an even higher pitched voice than she did. Couple that with the fact that I can't carry a tune in a dump truck, the 'yotes will DEFINITELY think some poor creature is in distress I won't have to waste any money on calls, just sing. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by outlawkyote
    When my son was a baby, I always wanted to set him about 50 feet in front of me n poke him with a stick ;D
    He sounded just like my rabbit in distress. The wife didnt think it was a good idea though >

Quote Originally Posted by doegirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache
    ugggh, bad :D Look at this way, I've got an even higher pitched voice than she did. Couple that with the fact that I can't carry a tune in a dump truck, the 'yotes will DEFINITELY think some poor creature is in distress I won't have to waste any money on calls, just sing. ;D
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

1Shot

He sounded just like my rabbit in distress.
    ...LOL...I have a 7yr old grandson you can use...lol...He whines alot...Maybe that would be a pup in distress.. ...

outlawkyote

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot
    He sounded just like my rabbit in distress.
    ...LOL...I have a 7yr old grandson you can use...lol...He whines alot...Maybe that would be a pup in distress.. ...
    Nope, Whining doesnt work, nothing wants to hear that...LOL Thats why I quit taking my wife hunting too...

:D :D :D :D :D
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

pd721el

I just got back from Nipawin SK. And I can tell you part of the problem is them not letting non residents shoot the coyotes. We were goose hunting and saw not less then 7 dogs a day not trying. You would get over run if you made a set.

358Hammer

Too many sad statistics like this that we do not hear about. There is some entity out there that as far as I am concerned will do any and everything to hide the facts that couger,wolves, coyotes and bear are opportunity killers many times.

I have called coyotes and fox for many years. Both animals and in particuler wolves know the difference 1. between artificial calls so I have to change calls from year to year. 2. The smell comparison of a human vs a typical prey. Lots of times I circle back on myself and sit up on elevation before I start calling. One never knows what direction one of those little dogs will come in from and many times they will cross my scent trail. The reaction without exception is always the same. Nose goes down quickly, head pops back up quickly, gone!

A rancher working for Fish and game some years back was winter feeding a herd of elk. In that herd was a very nice but sick and wounded elk. All winter he watched the pack of wolves go right past the sick bull and hunt down healthy animals. SUre doesn't fit in with what the animal people want us to think.

Neal

Basic Member

Makes sense to me ....... I always go for the best when I hit the meat case!!!

Three 44s