Thread: How many pdogs....way to many!

Basic Member

How many pdogs....way to many!

Went out to the ranch and started shooting at 630 am today. They were out every place by the hundred of thousands if not more.
    I shot 150 rounds by 8am in one spot off the back of the truck on my table. I moved 150 yards up the fenceline and shot another 100+ rounds, then took the 200 rounds I had left and walked about 250 yards into the field to a rise that overlooks a spot/valley I cant see from the back of the truck and shot the rest from that spot. It was nothing but load & shoot, load n shoot. I was running a round every few seconds it seemed.
    I bought both .223 Savages, my FP10 & 12FV in .223, they got hot and I swapped till one cooled , then shot the other. When I was in the field shooting prone it was just the FP10, had no time to let it cool unless I was glassing around.
    Nothing but bam...splat, splat...bam splat, splat, splat.
    I did not have to shoot further than 200 yds at all, & they were swarming beyond that as far as one can see, and out there its about a mile +/-.
    I stopped counting doubles/triples/quads & quints at 37. I had them flying in all directions.
    I left at 145 pm when I ran out of ammo (470 rounds shot) and they were still out all over. I did not make it beyond a 600 yard square area and everytime I shot one I had 6-10 in the field of view. They are dumb as heck right now and the little ones are in the thousands. Most mounds had no less than 6 running all over them.
    If there would of been 20 of us along the fence line we would of hardly made a dent in them. Every valley was packed full & still are.
    Since March I have run a tad over 3000 rounds into them and it looks like I have not shot one.
    One thing is a given & thats the local coyotes will be feed very well this year ...AGAIN!

ranjan1

Re: How many pdogs....way to many!

would you like to adopt me ?

Basic Member

I just got back from my second trip of the year. Dogs in west Texas are very, very thin this year, about 10% of what I am used to normally seeing. I shot less than 250 rounds in two days on each trip, and a lot of those rounds were spent chasing the few dogs that we saw "way out there" in the distance. I assume that the drought has reduced the number of dogs that we are seeing.

What part of the country are you shooting in?

Keith

Martin

I had a shoot like that in Kansas in 2000. I kept three rifles hot. I went to the same place last year and shot 300 rds in two days. Good for you 5spd.

Martin

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kkeene
    What part of the country are you shooting in? Keith
    In the Cheyenne WY areas.
    Darned about your trip being short on Targets.

rajan1....Heck I cant even get permission for pals that live up here on the places I have access as it is.