Thread: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 Opinions?

kdvarmint

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 Opinions?

I'm looking at buying a viper 6.5-25x50 pa riflescope. #1 I like a fine cross hair. Will I be disappointed with this on for varmints out to 800 yards. and maybe further? #2 Will I be satisfied with only 20x magnification? It's a price I can live with, and the quality sounds good. I will use it on a 308 with 20moa base, for groundhog hunting and some match shooting out to 500 yards. Opinions please!..... Oh, what rings? Also looks like turret adjustments are in inches not minutes.

Senderofan

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 Opinions?

I put one of these on my AR...absolutely love it. I think, for the price, they are an excellent choice. As to whether you'll like for long range varmint hunting...tough to say. You'll find some folks use 10,14 or 16 power for long range work. My eyes appreciate higher magnifications for little critter gettin' jobs. I would say...give it a try.

Wayne

bgc

I have the BDC reticle model.
    Are you referring to the "Target Dot" reticle when you state "fine crosshairs"?
    Personally, I feel the BDC would be a bit thick for PDogs at 800 yards. At 500 I would be comfortable with it. I have Vortex optics on most of my rifles and have been very happy with them. Great clarity, good depth of field, good color, and OK eye relief.
    I have switched some of the rifles to one piece mounts bedded with Devcon (DNZ mounts). This has been an excellent combination that holds up well in all conditions. Two rifles have one piece bases and Picatinny rings. For this set up I used ATK rings and have been happy with them.
    I would like to stress the importance of lapping. Battlefield Technologies/Wheeler Engineering has a decent kit on the market and Sinclair/Brownells sells lapping bars. Its cheep insurance DIY or have a gunsmith do it.

SWFA is a good source for optics and mounts as is Natchez. For tooling Brownells has some of the best stuff out there.

bgc

The turrets are 1/4" MOA

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by bgc
    The turrets are 1/4" MOA
    Yes. The indicaters on the turrets read 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 one full revolution not 1 thru 60 mins.

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by bgc
    I have the BDC reticle model.
    Are you referring to the "Target Dot" reticle when you state "fine crosshairs"?
    Personally, I feel the BDC would be a bit thick for PDogs at 800 yards. At 500 I would be comfortable with it. I have Vortex optics on most of my rifles and have been very happy with them. Great clarity, good depth of field, good color, and OK eye relief.
    I have switched some of the rifles to one piece mounts bedded with Devcon (DNZ mounts). This has been an excellent combination that holds up well in all conditions. Two rifles have one piece bases and Picatinny rings. For this set up I used ATK rings and have been happy with them.
    I would like to stress the importance of lapping. Battlefield Technologies/Wheeler Engineering has a decent kit on the market and Sinclair/Brownells sells lapping bars. Its cheep insurance DIY or have a gunsmith do it.

SWFA is a good source for optics and mounts as is Natchez. For tooling Brownells has some of the best stuff out there.
    It has the mil dot. I mean "thin" not "thick" at the cross hair.

Basic Member

I have the exact scope you are asking about, and I really like it a lot. The only complaint I have is the cross hairs are a little thicker than I am used to, but I mostly shoot IORs with MP-8 and NF NP-2DD.

I have mine on a DPMS LR-260 in a Burris P.E.P.R mount.

kdvarmint

Well I'm taking a chance and going to try the Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 Fine Plex Reticle. Need a scope now and not ready to lay out 900-1300 yet. Maybe next year. Let you know how it works.

11fcns

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by 11fcns
    I don't see anything that couldn't be attributed to rifle/ammo/shooter/conditions. With 7-13mph winds and 85 degrees wind drift and mirage are big factors. Throw some parellax and/or generic ammo in the mix and you've got that much more to deal with.

bgc

I have this scope is mounted on a 110BA in 300 WinMag. I haven't had any issue with it after 80 rounds. All of the Vortex scopes I have, have been good performers.

I currently have 3(maybe 4) of the Viper 6.5-20 scopes. I have owned atleast 7 or 8 of them(in every reticle option available and both 44mm and 50mm objectives), as well as turning on a bunch of my friends to them as well for about another 6 or 7 scopes.

I can honestly say that I have had ZERO troubles out of mine, and so have my friends. I have ran mine from 100 yards up to 900 yards and back numerous times while prarie dog hunting and have had ZERO issues. They have all tracked perfectly and are very bright and clear.

In my opinion they are one of the best values on the market.

Just like anything, I'm sure a lemon slips thru every now and then, but Vortex has an unconditional lifetime warranty which as good as it gets. In my dealings with their PR dept I have found that they are very concerned with their reputation, and monitor forums such as this and others to see the feedback.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

bgc

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    Well I'm taking a chance and going to try the Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 Fine Plex Reticle. Need a scope now and not ready to lay out 900-1300 yet. Maybe next year. Let you know how it works.
    SWFA has the 6x20x50 for 450 and the 8x32x50 for 220, either way you cant got wrong.

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    Win some, lose some. Got scope, very blurry no matter what I do. Called Vortex for help. After a short conversation, they said send it back. Their sending me another new one. So far customer service rating 100%, initial quality control 0%. To be continued.........

Only problem I've run into is a ring base issue, not the Viper. After mounting my Viper with what must be too high rings, I was left with only 10 "clicks" of elevation left after zeoing at 200 yards. A 20 MOA base and Burris Zee rings/inserts should solve the problem.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

bgc

Sounds like the base needs to be shimmed.

Instead of a shim, I'd rather correct the problem with the Zee rings and 20 moa Base. My current rings, on a "0" moa EGW base are medium Millet's that ended up putting the 50mm objective 3/4" above the barrel.

20 MOA base and Zee rings did the trick. I've got all the elevation I need and then some.

I just had a Crossfire 8X32X50AO go belly up on me. I had it mounted on a 204 Ruger AR and it got real squirrely when I made windage and elevation adjustments and then would just flat NOT hold a zero or group worth a hoot. I called Vortex and am sending it back to them to be looked at. I've had it about 18 months and had no issues up until now.