Thread: i got my first centerfire savage!

222martini

i got my first centerfire savage!

hi everyone i just wanted to say g'day
    i fell in love with savage rifles years ago when i was in the states living there,now i am back in australia and finally found the right gun for me i hope.
    it is a model 11 gl in 308 .its been carried more than it has been shot i hope it is a shooter i will get to the range next weekend
    does any one know if the came with a wood or synthetic stock as mine has the later
    thank josh

Basic Member

Re: i got my first centerfire savage!

Model 11 gl - Short action, hardwood stock, left hand.

Welcome to the Savage forum mate! A wealth of knowledge here.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

222martini

well i got her to the range today and it shoots well , 130gr speer hp, 50 grs of 748 it turned out three shot groups all touching at 100 yds on 9x power and three shots under an inch on 3x. as well as putting several factory loads just over 1" groups all 2 inches lower then the 130's so i am very happy with it now i just have to finnish the walnut stock i have

ellobo

Welcome Mate. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free floated and you should be good to go. Use copper cleaner occasionaly and you wont have any problems.

El Lobo

222martini

cool thanks for the tip elobo, i will post some pics once i work it out

222martini

well i just got back from a hunting trip at easter,body count for the savage :4 pigs all on the run at 20 -80 yards,and a head shot on a fox at 50 yards at full pace, between the 4 of us the body count was 3 foxs, 10 pigs . and a pidgeon my old man got with the truck at 80 km/h which is good going for him as he is blind as a bat. the speer 130 gr hp bullets worked a treat, they went in done there job and stayed there.i am happy with the savage it did not miss a beat . i will post some pics once i become a member

ellobo

Try some 168 gr. bullets. Every standard cartridge .30's I have seen in a Savage shoot best with that bullet wgt. Probably the twist rate they use on most of them.

El Lobo

222martini

el lobo i was thinking of that weight bullet for the fallow deer we have around here ,any brands you would suggest

anomad

Quote Originally Posted by 222martini
    el lobo i was thinking of that weight bullet for the fallow deer we have around here ,any brands you would suggest
    Do you need any sort of license to hunt feral and pest animals in Australia? I guess ranchers would he happy to let you hunt their grazing lands.

My 30-06 really likes Speer boat tails. But all the manufacturers make good hunting bullets in the 165ish grain range.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...9016***7243***

222martini

Quote Originally Posted by anomad
    Quote Originally Posted by 222martini
    Do you need any sort of license to hunt feral and pest animals in Australia? I guess ranchers would he happy to let you hunt their grazing lands.

My 30-06 really likes Speer boat tails. But all the manufacturers make good hunting bullets in the 165ish grain range.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...9016***7243***
    no you dont need a license on private land ,how ever you do need one to hunt in the state forests of new south wales.and you need a firearms license for the type of firearm.ie rimfire /shotgun or centerfire rifles.I have access to half a dozen farms that start around 2500 acres up to around 14000 acres. old jack the owner likes us to clean out every thing that is not native as he run alot of sheep.and the ferals do alot of damage to the land as well as stock,so basicaly it is open slather out there, and the body counts where alot higher back when we had the semi autos.

anomad

That's really a shame Oz basically went the way of the Poms with gun control.

Can you still own lever action or pump action rifles? I can get a pretty quick follow up shot with a lever gun.

222martini

yeah we can still have the pumps and leverguns . and we can have semi autos they are just a bit harder to get ,you have the have a reason ie,primary producer(farmer),employment(profesional shooter) and so on, it is just alot of paper work to go through .and most people could not be bothered .i have thought about being a pro shooter just to have one,but like you say you can get of some quick shots with any good gun.the 4 i got where all in about 10 seconds and there were at least 20 pigs in the mob.it is magazine capacity that slows you down.