Thread: savage precision target action vs stiller predator

beergoggles

savage precision target action vs stiller predator

has anyone tried both of these actions and found either wanting? i can't bring myself to pay twice the price if the accuracy is somewhat similar. thanks for your time.

lomfs24

Re: savage precision target action vs stiller predator

To me, this is a personal question. I can't speak to what a Stiller action will do as I have never owned one. But I do know what Savage actions are capable of. I have seen groups from a Savage that are very tight. I can shoot .2 MOA out of my nearly stock savage with the right loads. So then I have to ask myself, can I justify the extra expense for the type of shooting I am doing? For the type I am doing my answer is NO. But maybe you are going to be doing some F-class shooting or other extremely precision target work where the extra .1 MOA is the edge for winning or losing a match. Then it would be worth it.

For me shooting deer, prairie dogs and the occasional sporting rifle match my nearly stock savage will out shoot me. I think that if you bought a savage target action you could take the extra money you saved and put it into a barrel, or stock or maybe a little extra work on the action if you think it needs it.

Then there is the cool factor. All your buddies are sitting around and one of them says "my gun is a Savage target action chambered in 338 Edge", your other buddy says "Yeah, I bought a Savage too from Walmart, I think it's and Edge too and it's a .308" And you say "I decided to go with a ....(insert your high end action here Stiller, Stolle, Lawton, Surgeon, etc...) action" And the rest of your buddies go "oooooohhhhh!"

But that's just my opinion and I don't know what type of shooting you are planning to do with it.

Russ

I beleave Team Savage has won some F-Class shoots and set some records with stock Savage Rifles. ;D ;D ;D

82boy

Well, you’re not truly comparing apples to apples here, more like comparing a new Ford f150 Pickup truck to a Cadillac escalade. Yes they both do the same thing, (drive down the road.) but they are different in different ways.

The Stiller Predator is a custom action that is built off of the Remington 700 design. (You can call it a clone.) The Predator uses Remington parts, (like firing pin, trigger, ETC.) but it has tighter clearances that a Remington, and has a side bolt stop. The Predator has a right bolt right port. If you want a right bolt left port then you need to spend $50 dollars more for the Predator Special. The Predators use a Remington inletting so you can have a wide variety of stocks. The Predator would have to have barrels fitted by a gunsmith. With the Predator you can use high Jewel triggers, and other great aftermarket parts. There may be a wait period due to production schedules. The Predator is $850 the Predator Special is $900.

The Savage Target action is a mass produced piece, and will not feel like a custom action. Playing with Savages most complaints is the heavy bolt lift, and the loose tolerances, wich gives it a sloppy feel. The accu-trigger is a far cry away from a quality trigger like a jewel. Some people will argue that the accu-trigger is good enough, and for most shooters it is, but it cannot and will not compete with a competition trigger. (SSS evolution, Jewel ETC.) The target action is available in right bolt left port, right bolt right port, and right bolt dual port. (SSS has had some left handed Target action in the past.) The Savage action you would be able to get pre-fit barrels right off the shelf and screw them on. The target action is much cheaper with cost at $485.00, (NSS price.) but to get it to where it would be comparable to the Stiller would take some additional work. Another downside of the target action is the availability of aftermarket parts, such as stocks.

Sharp Shooters Supply can do a Time and true job that would smooth the action out and make bolt opening with about the same amount of effort as the Predator, and would improve the bolt feel, the tolerances would still be on the loose side of things. (You can only do so much.) The loose tolerances will not affect accuracy only feel of the bolt. SSS charges $125 for a T&T job and there is a wait period, depending on production schedules. With the T&T job timing would be corrected, increasing accuracy because of constant ignitions.

SSS has the Evolution trigger which is comparable to the better Remington aftermarket triggers (Jewel, Shilen, and Kelby.) will set you back a few more dollars. ($195.00 on top of the T&T job.) The trigger price should not be equated into the action cost but the total cost of the build, because you would need to purchase a trigger for the Stiller action. If you take the $485 cost for the target action and the $125 for the T&T job that places you into a comparable action for $610. What ends up happening is due to the offsets in parts cost, (Triggers stocks, ETC.) you will end up with a gun that is close in price either way you go. The Stiller would have a slightly higher resale value.

Now to answer the final questions “Will the Stiller action be more accurate than the worked Savage action?” the answer is “No, they would shoot one par with each other.” “Is there any advantage to the Stiller action over a timed and trued Savage action?” The answer is “Only in feel, and availability of aftermarket parts.” The fact is, a Savage can shoot and be made to compete with high end custom actions. (Bat, Panda, ETC.) I hope this answers your questions.

beergoggles

thanks guys, that's what i was hoping to hear.

beergoggles

actually, i think i may just go with a stevens action. save even more money right out of the gate. thanks for the advice pat and lomfs24