Thread: Prairie Doggin

Basic Member

Prairie Doggin

Ok so about what seems like 80% of the people on here prairie dog shoot. (cuz it dang sure aint huntin lol) I was wondering. In 223 has anybody used smks? or Match bullets before ive read for the last 2 days on diff. web sites id like some of your personal experiences with Match bullets. I have personally used 52smks hpbt to kill upwards of 35 coyote and 3 fox this year. how do 69smks do on prairie dogs? any imput would be awesome or if you have a 1-9 twist savage whats a good substitute for the smks that shoot close? thanks
    couple of savages

Basic Member

Re: Prairie Doggin

No experience with the 69's but the 52 gr Sierra MatchKings are excellent PD bullets. They are not quite as explosive as the 50 gr v-max at close range (under 200 yards) but actually seem to kill better at longer ranges than the v-max. More accurate than the v-max too.

Again, I have no experience with the 69 gr bullets and they could be a totally different beast.

CJ in WY

Back years ago we used a lot of MK and TNTs for prairie dogs but quit useing them because they skip a LOT more often and FARTHER than either lead or plastic tiped bullets.
    In the back country that isnt realy a problem but a lot of our shooting is done these days within range of something that we dont want to bounce into accidently.

fatdaddy

We still use the smk's some. 52 GR work well on the Pdogs. As mentioned before, they do skip more than Id like. Gives ya a hollow feeling when ya can hear that bullet going who knows where. Shoot mostly v-max these days...Bill

helotaxi

Can't speak to the terminal performance other than what they did to a steel target supposedly rated for rifle (let's just say that at 200yds it wasn't pretty) but the 75gn Hornady HPBT match bullets and the 69gn Nosler Custom Competition bullets shoot extremely well out of my 12FV with a 1:9 twist. Either is carrying a lot more energy at range than any varmint bullet or lightweight match bullet but won't be nearly as spectacular since the bullet won't grenade on impact.

The only caution I will give with using that type of bullet on the prairie is that they are pretty solidly constructed and can be prone to ricochet at low grazing angles. This is where I like my .204 with a fast twist barrel slinging 50 and 55gn Bergers. Pretty much the most efficient bullets made with a varmint style construction...that and they just look cool.

Basic Member

thanks for all the replys so quickly, i got this savage, 1-9 twist a lil late in the game and tried like hell to find someone with a bulk pack of the 75a-max to no avail. every tom dick and harry with a plastic gun buys them up so quick cause wow look at me i have to load an ar single shot but its deadly. so yea I have had great luck with the 52 smk hpbts. hunting with coyote and fox they are a tick more accurate than the 40grn. horandy vmaxs i took last year pdoggin. Next year Im thinking i am going to work up a load with 50-55 grain vmaxs or something close to that effect so its a bit safer where we go there is literally nothing for MILES AND MILES i will watch my backstops and where and how i shoot these but they were the only ACCURATE (to my standards) bullet i could get to work on short notice. they will shoot into the 2s if i do my part well. so if i can get a plastic tip bullet to do that illgo that route next year. that way i have a year to get the bullets put back. I understand aswell that a 69grn bullet moving 3000fps roughly isnt going to blow up a pd like we all love( like a 204, or 22-250) at close to 4000fps using a 40 gn. bullet. shot placement is most important to me. Id take an accurate .22 cal rimfire over a scoped 308 that shoots 2 foot groups. thanks for all the help and responces i got 1k loaded and ready and will update after we get back....
    couple of savages

Basic Member

I only use a 50g vmax, nothing more is needed.

Basic Member

a 32 grain bullet will kill a pd.. actually a 17 grain will do aswell. i was just looking for some advice on a 1-9 twist bullet. thats not heavy. I want to utalize the 1-9 twist for a lil heavier pill to get out further is all. i know that 40s and 52s work good but was looking for something more explosive than match hpbts. I guess that should have been my question instead. thanks
    couple of savages

helotaxi

For an explosive varmint style bullet 60gn is as heavy as it gets in either a V-Max or Berger. Both are flat base bullets and neither is particularly good at long range as a result. The best long range varmint bullet out there is the new 53gn V-Max that just hit the shelves. Better ballistics than either of the 60gn pills and capable of being thrown out there significantly faster.

Basic Member

Thank ya helo i seen the vmax after i bought 1k hornady 52hpbt's and kicked myself i like the idea of the boatail, for many reasons one of which they load easier. like i told my buddy find a good load that works plus or minus. 1 grain for pdin cuz i aint tryin to build a watch for bulk shootin, yet want something more accurate than factory stuff. i may try the heavier vmaxes out for next year we are leavin in 2 weeks for sd. so i think the 69's will serfice for now just gotta be careful and make certain i have a good backstop away from the cattle. the 40's we load in the 204 and my other 223s are great to about 3-350 sometimes 400 depends on the day and weather. but like i stated before i know the lighter the bullet the more doping or kentucky windage you must use.so i will try the vmax this summer an see what she does.
    couple of savages