Thread: Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole

threepdr

Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole

I've been looking at the Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole for my Stevens 200 .223. They offer them now with centerfeed. Anyone have any experiance with these are far as fit and finish? I've had good luck with other Boyds stocks, so hope these would be a good choice to replace my tupperware stock.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbh...evens-s/36.htm

Thanks!

Threepdr

Re: Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole

I got a Boyd FT on a staggerfeed 110; I personally like it a lot compared to the factory wood stock. Its much more ergonomic to hold, and in my opinion, breathed new life into an old rifle.

Boyd's make a great stock. I wish they would again make stocks for the heavy barrel Savages.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Boyd's make a great stock. I wish they would again make stocks for the heavy barrel Savages.
    They do. Think they started again late last year:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbh...avage-s/67.htm

hunter2

now if they would just make one for the long actions!

threepdr

My Boyds Thumbhole came in yesterday. I chose the pepper lamnate. This is the first finished stock I've bought from Boyds and I'm very please with it.

The finish looks thick with a dull sheen. I had to order some longer action screws so I have not torqued it down yet, but it seems as though it will be a complete drop in. I'll bed it later.

I found that the plastic trigger guard off my stevens 200 does not fit in the mortice. It could with a little filing on the trigger guard. Does anyone know if a Savage steel trigger guard would fit with out removing wood? If so, I'll just do fit the plastic TG to it.

Thanks

airaddict

i asked that question to stockys and they told me since savagemakes 5 diff TG, They rough inlet for the general shape and some will drop in without any adjustment but most you will have to do some minor fitting to get it to drop in.....at least on theirs i assume they meant. so maybe its that way with others.
    IMHO, i would rather have a tight inlet where i can fine tune it than a large oversized sloppy inlet.

Team Savage

I just purchased a Boyd's stagger feed stock from another member. The gloss metal trigger guard I ordered from Savage Arms did drop into the slot without any gaps around the sides. But I did have to do some sanding to bring the wood down level with the face of the trigger guard. In the past, I have taken a Boyd's finished laminated stock and used several applications of Tru-oil Gunstock Finish to restore the finish so it matched the rest of the stock.

The other option is to put bedding under the trigger guard to raise it up level to the wood face. But then you may need to purchase a longer 1/4" x 28 rear action screw.

vern748

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2
    now if they would just make one for the long actions!
    Just finished converting a Boyd Thumbhole Varmint for the 10 to a LA for my 110. It was relatively simple to do. Had to extend the magazine inlet and make a replacement slot for the recoil lug. I did take off a bit too much wood for the barrel nut, but nothing that epoxy and sawdust cant fix. The only thing to look out for is when you re-drill the forward mounting bolt. It is just shy of a metal support used in the Boyd laminated stocks. ( did you ever wonder what was behind those black dots on the side of the Boyd stocks ). This support and bolt location will make pillar beading difficult. You will need to cut back the pillar similar to the trigger pillar.

Once I get done I may do a better write-up with pictures. It was simpler than I would have thought. You do need a Dremmel with the correct bits. I did have the router attachment that made it so much easier.

Cheers
    Vern