Thread: Anyone really familiar with Choate Ultimate Stocks?

lwink

Anyone really familiar with Choate Ultimate Stocks?

I've been trying to get info on these stocks for a while now, tried calling a few dealers and got the not so helpful "have you looked at our website" answers, although most people were quite friendly. Seems like many prefer the Varminter over the Sniper on most forums -- what are some reasons for this? Best I can tell the differences are texture, weight, the off hand grip, and probably most importantly the Sniper has vertical butt adjustment while the Varminter does not(??) and the Varmint model has more aluminum extending all the way through the forearm while the Sniper does not(?? again). Can anyone confirm these facts and add to the list of differences. Word is the stocks are going up in price soon, so I don't want to rush but feel like it's a good idea to order soon if I indeed go with one of these stocks.

Team Savage

Re: Anyone really familiar with Choate Ultimate Stocks?

I have both. And, all the differences you quote are true. With the exception of the aluminum bedding block extending farther in the varmint model, which it may do , but i've never compared them for that and don't know. If there is a difference in length, it is not enough to make one better then the other. I would check, but, all my stocks are currently attached to actions.
    I pesonally prefer the varmint stock for two reasons. The first being the straight fore end. And the second being the weight. The ultimate varminter is a little lighter.
    My .02 cents.
    Stu

brianinca

>>
    I pesonally prefer the varmint stock for two reasons. The first being the straight fore end. And the second being the weight. The ultimate varminter is a little lighter.
    >>

I have two FP10's with the UV and I too prefer that design to the US. I figure the total is now $0.04.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

dcloco

I don't like the sniper version if using a bipod, do to the angle of the forend, after recoil, the bipod will want to fold up.

lwink

All good tips, looks like the ultimate varmint may be the stock for my first savage build -- although that stockade elk stalker is fairly tempting as well, a bit too long of a wait though I'm afraid for this one. Maybe next time??? I welcome any other tidbits of info as well -- probably won't purchase until the weekend.

Basic Member

Texture was my big thing ,I actually ripped skin off my knuckles when I brushed up against the US stock
    It was not my stock or I would have rounded down the stickers with some sandpaper. ;D
    I too like the UV stock better
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

tbartley

OK, I&#39;ll be the differing opinion here. I like the US better than the UV. It is heavier and a little more raspy at the grip areas than its counterpart...but so am I. :D I have both on my rifles and the extra weight helps me with my shooting. I&#39;ve not shot either with a bipod, as has dcloco, and may change my mind after doing so. I always use a bag as a front rest. So now you&#39;ve got about 10 cents worth of info to utilize. I would suggest bedding whichever you choose for universal contact around the mounting areas of the action. Good luck and let us know which you go with and what you think.
    tyronne

Basic Member

I have both... And I like the UV better, mainly due to the shape of the forend.

kidde

I have an UV on a 12 in .223 and an US in a 10 in 300WSM. Weight difference is huge, I&#39;d guess over 2#&#39;s. Never had the 10 fold the bi-pod but I shoot mostly prone so not alot of room to move. I took and sanded the US down in the textured areas and that really help get rid of the sharp points. In my opinion the weight is the biggest difference followed by the flat fore arm on the UV. I&#39;ve had no problems with fit or anything else with either one.
    Paul

Basic Member

Yes there is a big weight difference. I was curious to know how much heavier the US stock is so I went ahead and weighed my stocks. The US stock is 1 lb 10 oz heavier than the UV.

lwink

Thanks again for the input, went ahead and ordered the UV today, should be arriving towards the end of the week and I look forward to checking it out!