Thread: 20 Practical

Quackaddict

20 Practical

Hey Guys, been a while since I have posted on this site, I have been spending my time shooting a 10FCP HS in 308. The rifle is a hammer for sure!

I have been looking at a 2nd barrel option for this rifle to give me a small caliber varmint rifle option to complement my 243 and 308. I plan on changing the stock to an XLR stock to take advantage of its features and the mag system.

The 20 practical and for that matter the 20 tactical seem like a very good option loaded with the 39 and 40 grn bullets for that 0-250 yd gap. Are these cartridges the real deal? The Tactical seems like the easiest to get premade components for, but the practical seems real easy to work with as well. Has anyone else had experience with these calibers? Would you pick one over the other?

NSS having a premade 20 practical barrel in stock has me leaning that way....

Re: 20 Practical

I don't have any experience with the tactical but from what I've read, both are the real deal. With 20 Tac being more common now, I think the choice is more personal than anything.

One of the biggest factors relating to which to get would be the dies you already have. I already had Redding 223 bushing dies so the 20 Practical was easiest for me. Not to mention 223 brass seems to be everywhere!

My 20 Practical was on an AR platform so speeds weren't near what a longer barreled bolt gun would do. I have since sold that off but I'm about to order a barrel for a lonely action I have in the safe. I just can't decide what barrel maker to go with!

Basic Member

After looking at the articles on 6mmbr.com and sabier.com I went with the 20 Practical.

Case forming is very easy, size with a standard full length die with decapper removed, then just neck size with a bushing die. I've never worked with any of these components before and its easy enough that even I figured it out. By not moving the shoulder I think you save time and effort over the tactical without losing any performance.

Jim at Northland can get Criterons in 20 Practical.

Quackaddict

The 20 Practical really has caught my eye, I can load with cheap 223 brass, get a die set that will let me do this caliber plus the 223, and push a 39 SBK to 3700+. Seems like a win all the way around.

How do you guys determine when to trim the brass?

Are criterion barrels the way to go these days?

Criterion barrels are "the bomb".
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by Quackaddict
    How do you guys determine when to trim the brass?
    Same brass length as the .223. 1.76" max length. 1.75" trim length. Because you didn't mess with the shoulder, the Possum Hollow trimmer for .223 should work.

dperk

I went with the 20 tactical on a semi-auto platform. The round is the real deal for sure!

Can't go wrong with the Pratical or Tactical. They are very similar. I went with the tactical because of the Lapua (dakota stamped) brass. I'm shooting through a 23" Shilen tube and no complaints whatsoever!

taylorwkrs

See question posted 6-14-11 about same subject. >>>>>>>>>

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,42714.0.html

Any comments?

taylorwkrs

taylorwkrs

Hey,....where are the .20 Practical shooters ??? Need some advice please,......... see prior post.

taylorwkrs

Your final bushing size will be determined by the brass you want to use/chamber. When loading for my AR 20 Practical, I used winchester brass and a final bushing of .225"

I did use more than one pass to form the brass as well...it helps keep things concentric. For my newly finished bolt gun, I bought lapua brass although I have yet to form any brass. From what I've read the Lapua will probably prefer a .226" final bushing.

BTW, I use a Redding 223 competition neck sizer with a 20 cal decap assembly.

Basic Member

You can even go from 223 to loaded 20 Prac in one session on a Dillon, just move the powder to station 3, two steps on neck size, it works. The 3700-4000 FPS 20's have LESS windage and drop out to 400+ than 22's or 6mms. Little lasers. Cheap brass, milsurp powders, cheap decent bulk bullets, barrels go a LONG time before needing to clean out there when the PD's are comin' right at ya, barrels LAST, what's not to like about the 20 Prac?