I tried some new loads with a new bullet, 55gr Vmax on 24.5gr H335, to shoot long range for the first time. I had been shooting 63gr Sierra SPs just fine. I had my bullet seater all the way down and could not get below 2.260". The loads were a little stiff to close the bolt on, but chambered.

Yesterday I investigated the setup. I markered the bullet with a sharpie, and locked it in. I expected to see marks from the lands, but it never reached them. Instead the bullet had a ring all the way around it .035" deep. I looked it up and appears the throat, leade, or ball seat (not sue of the correct term) is tight in my chamber and the bullet is hitting it snugly, keeping it from reaching the lands.

Have any of you heard of this before, and will it cause a problem? I would not mess with it because it was shooting sub 3" groups at 450yds, but I want it to load smoother. I did chuck the internal piece of the bullet seater in a drill press and ground it shorter with a file and stone like a mill. I will be able to get the OAL to 2.245 and just at the edge of the throat. This prevents me from being able to play with the bullet seating. Perhaps the shorter loads will shoot just fine, but if not...