Thread: Stumped....

Basic Member

Stumped....

I know someone, or everyone is going to say "Duh, dumbass" by the time this is all through, but.....
    What purpose does this little notch serve?

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/fileforge/5680914879/in/photostream[img]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/filefor...in/photostream

I am in the middle of my first real ground up build, and I was assembling the bolt today. Ejector, extractor, no problems, but when I put the spacer behind the bolt and went to insert it into the bolt body, this "notch" is stopping the bolt head short from lining up with the cross pin. I pulled a bolt from another 110LA and the notch is in the same spot...did I get the wrong bolt head from Midway (Bolt Head LA RH Push Feed Small Hole)?? someone educate me.

Re: Stumped....

If you are putting a new bolt face on it will not have the grove cut in it for the notch. I have a striker and ran into the same problem. I used a dremel and ground out a grove on the new bolt face to fit it. And I groung it on the wrong side the first time so I had to do it again. It does function though.

Basic Member

Thanks Snow! I am wondering if I could also just grind the hump on the inside of the bolt body that way I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore in case of subsequent bolt changes. Time to get the Dremel.

DC

Basic Member

I grind on the bolt body also. Be sure and check your firing pin diameter. All the ones I've come across that had the notch
    were also lg. firing pin. The new bolthead is small firing pin. You can drill the new bolthead or buy a new firing pin and bolthead
    retainer pin.

I also had to drill out the firing pin hole on mine. The striker was a 243 then I added the 223 bolt face. I did break off a drill bit in the bolt face but was able to get it out and open it. I thought about grinding the hump out but did not want to mess up the placement of the original 243 bolt face.

ellobo

Just dremel out the lump that is inside the bolt body. That tidbit came from Fred Moreo at SSS.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Once again the group of people on here is just amazing. Dremeling away. Will try and post pics of the new build as she comes along.

DC

Basic Member

I had the same issue without realizing it this week until I went to assemble it.
    I pre drilled the notch out with my drill press then finnished it with the dremel.
    Drilled out the small hole for my large FP also.
    Works perfectly.

Basic Member

Snow,
    as for drilling the bolt head, what size and how deep did you go?

DC

I have no idea what size I used. But, if you mic'd the larger pin you could find the right size bit. I think that is what I did or I just eyeballed it. I did not have to drill all the way through the bolt face. You do not want to do that. I just kept drilling and fitting until it worked.

Sorry but I am no machinist.

Basic Member

I mic'd it out to right around .1406 or so. I guess a number bit in the 25, 26, 27 range would do it, or an oddball mm around the mid 3 range too. I'll have to see what I have in the 'ol drill index.

DC

Basic Member

My bit measured at .156 using a drill gauge plate. Perfect fit, not a tad of slop. There are 2 spots you have to clear in the bolt head, the rear end, then after it makes it to the bolt pin hole another opening right before the FP hole, take it very easy at that point. I drilled and check 4x to be sure it was not drilling the actual FP hole by fitting the FP till it fit perfectly.