Thread: Bedding Factory 110 stock/action

DontTreadMe

Bedding Factory 110 stock/action

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new member here with a big question. I have searched this forum thoroughly looking for answers, and I haven't seen any topics addressing this specific issue. I'd love to get a full membership and read all the great articles here, but that will have to wait until finances make it possible, i.e. wifey will kill me if I spend $20 for this forum right now, haha!

I have a factory 110 rifle with the wood stock that I am currently attempting my first bedding job on. If I fail, so be it, but I'm a gutsy kinda guy, so hell with it! I've got the action stripped, cleaned, filled with modeling clay, stock gouged out, and everything taped and ready to go. However, I am really stumped about what to do with the rear pillar area. The stock has the factory pillars in it, and the rear one is a funny looking split pillar kind of deal. Mine is the blind box magazine, which I have removed, and the little retaining clip from it hangs slightly over the rear pillar.

It doesn't really compute with me what I should do in this area, or if I should leave it alone because of the clip for the magazine, and the narrow area that could be bedded anyway. Should I remove stock material around the pillar, put release agent on the clip, and try to bed it, or should I be happy just bedding the sides of the action, and the area around and in front of the recoil lug?

The front pillar was below the wood, and I could see where the wood is crushed some from tightening the stock down, so I removed quite a bit of material in that area so that the pillar is now exposed, and I think all will go well there. I would love any advice and opinions I can get on doing this rear area. Is it really necessary to do around this rear pillar? The wood where the magazine retaining clip sits shows signs of compression also, and I swear the clip itself sits directly over the rear pillar, but just barely. How should I deal with this, or should I just carry on doing the front portion?

I understand the tang should be floated, and I'm not eager to goof with that area, but I'm really questioning what to do with that rear pillar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I reach the point of no return! Thanks in advance.

Basic Member

Re: Bedding Factory 110 stock/action

Make life simple and skip the rear pillar. The rear pillar has solid contact between the receiver and the "L" clip, so you won't be compressing any wood.
    Just bed from the recoil lug back to the magazine well.
    Bedding a Savage is not as complicated as some people want to make it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

DontTreadMe

Re: Bedding Factory 110 stock/action

Excellent, just the answer I was looking for. The process does seem really simple over all, so thank you for the reply!