Thread: Review Vortex PST 6-24x on 1,000 yd. range.

joseph

Review Vortex PST 6-24x on 1,000 yd. range.

Yesterday I shot my first competition at 1,000 yds. in benchrest class. The scope I have is the new Vortex PST FFP MOA 6-24x50mm. My rifle I have it on is a Savage Target action duel port with the target Accu-Trigger set at 18 ounces. It has a EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail with Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm Rings. I'm shooting a 6mm Norma BR with CCI BR4 primers, Varget and Berger 105 gr. Hunting VLDs.

I had never shot at paper targets at 1,000 yds. before and was worried that I would not even hit the paper since we were only allowed 3 sighters before the 10 shot string for score & group size.

I used the JBM program to to figure how many MOAs I needed to adjust from my 200 yd. zero for 1,000 yds. Now I had to adjust the PST 27 MOA which is 108 clicks. I have been practicing counting those clicks quite a few times, because when I get set up on the shooting bench I do not want to make a mistake. The point is that I have adjusted the turrets many times up and down.

When I shot the 3 sighters the pit crew said my three shots were centered at 4 o'clock just outside the 10 ring and only 4" across. WOW boy was I happy. I then adjusted one click left and one click up. Then I had to shoot my very first 10 shot string for score & group size. Oh, forgot to mention that the mirage was terrible. I had to turn down the power to 12x so I could see the target better which everyone else did with their much more expensive scopes.

The PST preformed great even with the reticle it has for the 1,000 yds. The repeat adjustments of the turrets were spot on. I don't know how they could be more accurate and the glass very clear except for the mirage which affects all scopes.

The first relay was scored like this. 91-1x out a possible 100 with a group size of 14+1/8". The shots were centered perfectly in the middle of the target.

The second relay was centered about 6" above the first (wind changed) it scored 82-no x with a group size of 17+5/8".

In conclusion I am extremely happy with this scope and can't wait for the next match on May 28.

Almost for got to tell you that I came in second place for score with a total of 173-1x and the guy that came in first place had a score of 174-1x. I was so close, but sooo far away.

joseph

Ingwe

Re: Review Vortex PST 6-24x on 1,000 yd. range.

Hey that's great to hear! I am waiting for SWFA to ship me mine!!

I ordered the same exact one as yours.

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe
    Hey that's great to hear! I am waiting for SWFA to ship me mine!!

I ordered the same exact one as yours.
    You won't be disappointed. It is a great scope. :) :) :) :)

joseph

Excellent shooting your first time in competition, congratulations.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

PBinWA

Great shooting. I haven't shot with my PST yet but I did some ranging with it yesterday and was really impressed with the glass clarity. I'm not a super optics pro but it is really close to my Nightforce. I think my Nightforce may be brighter in low light but the PST is sure impressive for half the price.

Varget 7-08

Thanks for the review, I hope to order one of these in the next few months when I finish some other projects.

Basic Member

Why would you count clicks? It will take forever...there is a reason why optics are numbered.

I'm sure the PST is an awesome scope...I am a big fan of Vortex optics. I decided to pass on the PST that I was on a waiting list for...opted for the SS 5-20 and Bushnell/Horus HDMR.