Thread: Range report: Savage 16 FSS

MikeSSS

Range report: Savage 16 FSS

I'm new to the 110/10 Savage platform. I wanted a sporter weight rifle to shoot cast bullets at 100 yards or more. Because there are a lot of .30 molds in the garage and because I have experience with it, .308 seemed like the logical choice.

I went looking for a .308 Stevens 200 but found a very slightly used 16 FSS for a good price and didn't find any 200's in .308. With the follower and spring unit removed and the action screws tightened there was barrel contact with the stock. I opened up the barrel channel and the tang area a bit. Build quality is superb on this rifle and it's stock. After lubing, the AccuTrigger adjusted to it's lowest setting is very good.

The bullet chosen is a Lee 312-185R with gas check. The front shank on this bullet is the right size to ride on top of the lands, it's a "bore rider". The bullets were cast from range lead, air cooled and the gas checks put on in a Lee .311 sizing die. Lee Liguid Alox was the lube. The cases were RP range pick up, but real nice. They were full length sized and the mouths belled a bit. Charges were 16.0 gr of 2400 and 27.0 of Varget. The 2400 worked the best giving 1580 fps, the Varget load was too light, it gave 1630 fps but left large, very hard soot particles in the bore. I won't use Varget again unless it's in a hotter load.

16.0 gr of 2400 is supposed to be a magic load in milsurp calibers and indeed it is.

20 rounds of the 2400 load were fired, cleaning revealed no leading and not much fouling. Then I shot the Varget load, after about 10 shots cartridges would not chamber. The bore had big, loose chunks of hard soot and there was a buildup that gouged the bullets of rounds I tried to chamber. A quick scrub with a Chore Boy wrapped on a brush fixed this. There was no leading after the 20 Varget rounds were fired.

Conditions were too much and too variable wind. As always.

This is group one.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/MikeSSS_01/PA300090.jpg[/img]

This is group three.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/MikeSSS_01/PA300091.jpg[/img]

The shots out of the group are my fault, they are due to inconsistent hold, varying shoulder pressure and stuff like that.

Anyway, this Savage shoots those three cent bullets pretty darned well and total cost is only 13 cents a shot.

The only fly in this ointment is that I didn't buy a Savage ten years ago.

PBR DRIVER

Re: Range report: Savage 16 FSS

It is great to see someone work with cast bullets. Have you ever tried a 311291? I have used these in .30-30's and .30-06 with great accuracy.

Uncle Jack

Re: Range report: Savage 16 FSS

I used to use the 311291 almost 50 years ago in my DCM surplus Springfield 03A4. I lived just down the street from the printing plant for the Sacramento Bee and could get used linotype metal for nothing. The bullets were extremely accurate and if you hardened them properly (heat them in the oven and drop them into ice water) the penetration was pretty spectacular.

Take a look: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=667443

A DCM rifle, government issued ammo for cases, surplus 4895 powder, free linotype.....times were good!