Thread: Misfire

sauced10

Misfire

I had a misfire on a load today. Looks like the firing pin didn't hit it like all my fired rounds.I disassembled and the primer never went off. This was brand new brash and the length was cut to spec.

Could that be a headspace issue or maybe the bolt wasn't fully closed.

Re: Misfire

Could be any number of things......brass, primer, headspace, firing pin or a combination of some sort.

I'm guessing from the info you provided that these are your reloads. So, from that let's check the fairly easy stuff first assuming there was a mark on the primer (just not very deep).

1. Is this the only time it's happened?
    2. New or old primers? What brand?
    3. Check depth of primer pocket on that pc. versus the others
    4. If you have the tools, check the case head to datum length on that brass vs. the others

That should give you a very good start!

sauced10

CCI250
    New Winchester Brass

Here is a pic: http://i54.tinypic.com/2d2ivz8.jpg
    misfired on right and fired on left

Since that is a 300 WM I am wondering if you had a brass with a low/short belt on it and a difficult primer. CCI Primers are known to require a harder hit than other brands. The combination of the two may be it???

I threw up your pic on here for ya below.

Fired on Left --- Misfired on Right
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

A couple observations from the photo. I had to use Windows pic viewer to magnify it so the quality wasn't great.

First, the case on the left looks like it was a pretty hot load. Primer is flattened and cratered. Just sayin....

I can't tell if it's the pic or what, but the primer on the right doesn't look seated correctly. Or maybe it's too deep? It almost looks like it's sitting in the primer pocket tilted to one side.

I'd definitely check the primer pocket on that case.

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    A couple observations from the photo. I had to use Windows pic viewer to magnify it so the quality wasn't great.

First, the case on the left looks like it was a pretty hot load. Primer is flattened and cratered. Just sayin....

I can't tell if it's the pic or what, but the primer on the right doesn't look seated correctly. Or maybe it's too deep? It almost looks like it's sitting in the primer pocket tilted to one side.

Looks fine to me. Are there known problems with Winchester brass?

I can't really speak for Win Brass in general, but its not Laupa or Norma.

I do know I have some 458 Win Mag Brass that the belts did measure different from base of case to top of belt. It was Winchester Brand Brass.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by trappst

I would have to agree with trappst as far as the appearance of the primers in the photo.

Things that come to mind:
    - When is the last time you cleaned the crud out of your bolt? Perhaps some kind of dirt is impeding the free movement of the firing pin.
    - With primer manufacturers pumping out millions of primers, every now and then there is a dud. Could be that you got one. Did you try rechambering and attempting to fire it again before you disassembled the round?

blom

I also agree with Trappst, the first thing I noticed was the fired primer was cratered.

Basic Member

the case on the right looks flattened on one side like it went in crooked or to tight and flattened it putting it in

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    the case on the right looks flattened on one side like it went in crooked or to tight and flattened it putting it in
    +1 - looks extra round on one side and flat on the other. Bet it went in crooked, took a little extra "oomph" to seat it and crushed the primer pellet.