Thread: Turning small shank to large

VjjR

Turning small shank to large

What gunsmiths perform the tasks of turning a small shank action into a large one? How much does it cost?

Basic Member

Re: Turning small shank to large

I looked into this a couple of months ago and was strongly advised against it!! I went another direction
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by jglover_81
    I looked into this a couple of months ago and was strongly advised against it!! I went another direction
    Why were you advised against it?

Because you would have to remove metal for the larger barrel thread I would think and it would greatly weaken the reciever ring making it very dangerous.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Varget 7-08

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman
    Because you would have to remove metal for the larger barrel thread I would think and it would greatly weaken the reciever ring making it very dangerous.
    This. Have you checked out NSS? He has pretty reasonable prices for new Savage barrels

VjjR

It would be the same as a factory large shank

Basic Member

I talked to sinman and he said that he and sharpshooter both agree its a bad idea so I gave up and got a small shank barrel

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by jglover_81
    I talked to sinman and he said that he and sharpshooter both agree its a bad idea so I gave up and got a small shank barrel
    Okay, but why do they think it's a bad idea?

So Target/WSM/RUM actions are dangerous?

Team Savage

The large shank actions could be made from a higher grade of steel.

Basic Member

I would think re cutting the threads after it was heat-treated could put stress on the action and weaken it.
    It's my understanding they heat-treat the actions at the factory after they cut the threads.

VjjR

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    I would think re cutting the threads after it was heat-treated could put stress on the action and weaken it.
    It's my understanding they heat-treat the actions at the factory after they cut the threads.
    It is no different of a process of truing a remington action

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    This was my assumption.... I respected both sinman and sharpshooters expertise enough that I didn't ask any more questions.... maybe one of them will post and explain why its not recommended

Why not simply trade your small-shank action for a large-shank action?

Even if you have to throw a few bucks in for a deal, you should be out less $$$ overall and have a dedicated action with no questions.

May I ask what benefit you see in a large shank vs. small shank action?

358Hammer

Though I aM NOT SAYING don't OR GO DO IT!

I currently have two that have been opened up to large shank. In fact a third and it is a target action has been opened up to larger than a typical large shank. My First Edge use to be a small shank Striker.

The advice could very easily be that one may think the hardness has been machined away when cutting the .030 away and re-threading the action. I honestly never punched a thread to check hardness. Nitriding does take care of that though.

Neal

VjjR

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP
    Why not simply trade your small-shank action for a large-shank action?
    There isn't too many large shanks available.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP
    May I ask what benefit you see in a large shank vs. small shank action?
    I have 3 Large shank barrels and only one large shank action

VjjR

I'm am not concerned whatsoever of having a weaker action, I honestly do not believe this is a factor. It is a process done on a daily basis to Remington actions. I am looking for gunsmiths that perform the process. If I had a running lathe I would do it myself.

Basic Member

Buy a large shank target action or turn the barrels down.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

jeepmann1

Can the large Shank Barrels be turned down to small Shank ?

358Hammer

Centershotrifles.com use to do the enlargement process.

My wifes hunting handgun has a turned down 300 RUM barrel to small shank. Several hundred rounds have been down that bore now without issue. I think it much easier and economical to turn down a barrel.

Neal

ESSCEE

vjjr I have a small shank at S&S Sporting aka savage gunsmithing http://www.savagegunsmithing.com I asked several smiths to stretch the mag and open the feed slot to make a repeating EDGE he is the only one that said he could or would do it he also said when I get it back it will be a large shank. I know for sure that Scott does do it however I don't know how much he would charge. He is easy to talk too and usually answers his own phone.

VjjR

Thank you everyone for all your input, Unfortunately turning down 3 barrels would not be very economical either...

sinman

Turning down a barrel would run about $40, turning down 3 barrels about $120, being able to buy a used or new prefits that fit 95% of Savages priceless

Basic Member

I have had Center Shot Rifles open up two long actions of mine to large shank. I don't think it compromises the strength whatsoever. Some people say you're taking metal away from the receiver so it's not as strong. You are taking metal away but it's still there, just in the barrel instead of the receiver so there's still just as much steel there taking the pressure as before. Where I like the large shank is for the part that's exposed in front of the receiver. I know the RUMS and WSMS work in the small shanks too, I just prefer them and even belted mags for that matter with the larger shank. Just makes me feel better. The barrel is taking probably 99% of the pressure around the chamber so I doubt it has much effect on the receiver ring but I could be wrong. Of course it would still blow with a severe overload. My point is that the receiver takes the most force where the locking lugs go against the lug abutments and you're not changing anything there. As someone else said, when an action is trued/blueprinted metal is taken away too. The threads are re-cut then too and the locking lugs/abutments are lapped. I don't know the entire process but I can't imagine that it cuts in deep enough to get past the heat treatment. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine and would do it all over again because I like having the extra chamber thickness on the part that's outside the receiver where it doesn't get the extra support of the receiver ring. That's where I'd be worried about a small shank letting go, although I've never heard of it happening. Someone else asked why not just trade it for a large shank action. Because you might want a long action to be large shank and all current large shank actions are short actions and long action RUM actions are hard to find.