Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about your .338 Edge

Samdweezel05

Lets talk about your .338 Edge

Current build is a 6mmbr and I am just waiting for the barrel to get here so I can go shoot. The next build is going to be....... 300 Rum, 338 RUM, 338 EDGE or a .338 Lapua. It will be a large shank and more than likely be built on a target action if I can't find an original RUM action. I like the idea of the Edge with the case capacity of the .300 RUM but uses a .338 bullet. Can the brass be sized in one step by running it through a .338 neck sizer? I also like the fact that .300 RUM brass is easy to find, even 1x or 2x fired and is cheap compared to something like the .338 Lapua. Another requirement of this next rifle will be a muzzle brake, and a big one at that. I have played the big rifle game in the past from a bench (9 pound .300 RUM) and it hurt.

KRP

Re: Lets talk about your .338 Edge

Yes, just run it through the die(with tapered expander), or get an expandiron from K&M.

Savage Lover

I have an Edge built on a single shot Target Action, it is great. 30" tube and Stockade Tactical stock. I have one of Kirby Allens "painkiller" muzzle brakes, It works great, no hurt shooting the 300 grains at 2940 fps. I think the side baffle design brakes work the best, just don't let anyone talk you into a Vias style brake if you ever plan on shooting prone on the ground, it blows crap in your face and scope every single shot. I just use the Redding 338/300 ultra custom dies from Shoot-Long.com they already have the tapered button installed and is very easy to open up in one pass, I use imperial sizing wax on mine.

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Lover
    I have an Edge built on a single shot Target Action, it is great. 30" tube and Stockade Tactical stock. I have one of Kirby Allens "painkiller" muzzle brakes, It works great, no hurt shooting the 300 grains at 2940 fps. I think the side baffle design brakes work the best, just don't let anyone talk you into a Vias style brake if you ever plan on shooting prone on the ground, it blows crap in your face and scope every single shot. I just use the Redding 338/300 ultra custom dies from Shoot-Long.com they already have the tapered button installed and is very easy to open up in one pass, I use imperial sizing wax on mine.
    Understandable about the Vais brake throwing dirt if you shoot prone but I would really like to know how good do they reduce recoil. Kevin Rayhill is going to do the barrel and I haven't decided if I want a .338 Edge or a .338 Lapua Magnum Improved. Kevin uses Vais Brakes and swears by them but I am sure a lot of that is because he sells them.

Savage Lover

The brake I speak of actually came from Kevin, he built a 7 WSM for me and talked me into that brake. Hated it every time I shot it, I pretty much only shoot prone, from the bench it doesn't matter. Don't let him talk you into it, you will regret it. They work just fine in reducing recoil, just don't shoot it on the ground. Go with the side baffle design. Here is one that works good, I like the holes on top of mine. http://www.shop.shoot-long.com/Tripl...ebrakes1in.htm

sinman

This is what I usually put on edges I build
    [img width=600 height=360]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/IMAG0175.jpg[/img]

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Lover
    The brake I speak of actually came from Kevin, he built a 7 WSM for me and talked me into that brake. Hated it every time I shot it, I pretty much only shoot prone, from the bench it doesn't matter. Don't let him talk you into it, you will regret it. They work just fine in reducing recoil, just don't shoot it on the ground. Go with the side baffle design. Here is one that works good, I like the holes on top of mine. http://www.shop.shoot-long.com/Tripl...ebrakes1in.htm
    Kevin try's to talk a lot of people into a lot of things and I think what he tries to talk people into changes on a daily basis. I am surprised he even builds the .338 Edge after all the time he spent bad mouthing it on the phone with me the other night. Of all the .338's I brought up in the conversation he kept trying to sell me on a .30-.338 Rayhill rocket (.338 lapua necked down to 30 cal). Not sure why he has his name next to it, must be the only one to ever do it. ::) I don't let sales men sell me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    This is what I usually put on edges I build
    [img width=600 height=360]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/sinarms/IMAG0175.jpg[/img]
    Can you chamber for the .338 lapua Improved?

sinman

Phil, I can get the reamer with out a problem so i defiantly can. What action did you want to build it off of?

Samdweezel05

It's going to be another target action. Don't care about the ejection port being too short to eject live rounds. Who in their right mind ejects a live round? There is always something to shoot at. If I do a brake like yours I would send the action for you to time it correctly with out any shims. How permanent is the brake. I live in NY and can't have a brake that just threads off. Threads on the end of a barrel are a no no here. Need to have some super crazy loctite or a pin so I can't get it off.

Samdweezel05

Also Devin, can you chamber a set of dies for it with the same reamer you chamber the barrel with?

Senderofan

Devin is going to cut a set of dies for me...on my project. Not sure if he needs special reamers for that or not. But he is definately doing this for me.

Wayne

sinman

I can solder the break or pin it and you can cut them with the chamber reamer but you should use a die reamer to bump the case back into shape. The barrel you would want to go nutless just to have the added strength for the cartridge.

Samdweezel05

My guess is that I would break the bolt head and push the bolt into my face wile shooting before I ever had an issue with the barrel/chamber area not being thick enough. With out a nut I can't change the bolt head if I have the need to with out sending it back out to be head spaced again. Nuttless does look cool but isn't functional for me.

sinman

send me a PM we can work out the details on it.

Basic Member

Do I get a cut of every brake you sell from now on since that is my barrel/brake in the photo? ;D

I can't wait to touch that sucker off this weekend! Of course it is supposed to be rainy and windy. >

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    Do I get a cut of every brake you sell from now on since that is my barrel/brake in the photo? ;D

I can't wait to touch that sucker off this weekend! Of course it is supposed to be rainy and windy. >
    Don't get mad when mine looks better. ;D Yours was just practice.

Basic Member

Ha, ha, I am not a looks guy any way, so no problem. If mine shoots any where near as good as it looks I will be doing great!

sinman

I think they both will shoot, and Chris I need to have complete rifle pics before I can start paying out for usage haha.

Basic Member

I will throw up some temporary pix. I am getting an XLR stock in a few weeks, that should finish it off nicely.

[img width=600 height=69]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/338Edge.jpg[/img]

Like I said, this stock it just a temp thing. It will be sold when the XLR gets here. Any one need a Stockade Single Shot? ;D

110 action(purchased in classifieds)
    30" Brux and Sin-Arms Muzzle Brake(Thanks Devin!)
    Boots bolt handle(Thanks Boots!)
    Stockade Single Shot Woodchuck and SSS Lug(purchased from this site)

Samdweezel05

I will throw up some temporary pix. I am getting an XLR stock in a few weeks, that should finish it off nicely.

[img width=600 height=69]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/338Edge.jpg[/img]

Like I said, this stock it just a temp thing. It will be sold when the XLR gets here. Any one need a Stockade Single Shot? ;D

What action is that. I wanted to find a RUM action to do mine on but I haven't had any luck with that.

Basic Member

Um.......110 action(purchased in classifieds) :P

Samdweezel05

Sorry, I thought it was a large shank and not just a normal small shank long action.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by Samdweezel05
    Sorry, I thought it was a large shank and not just a normal small shank long action.
    Now let's not start a "Shank size war"...this is a family friendly web site up in here :D. Be happy with what you got!

Wayne

Man, a lot of those handles are ending up on 338 Edge guns. Looks nice.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire

Man, a lot of those handles are ending up on 338 Edge guns. Looks nice.
    I'll have to find a different handle then cause I'm not doing an Edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast