Thread: Long action vs. Short Action for DBM aftermarket stock

shaman

Long action vs. Short Action for DBM aftermarket stock

Been looking at guns, and most of what I find with DBMs is long actions. I like the idea, but I don't find any synthetic aftermarket stocks that are LA and DBM. SHould I wait for a good deal on a short action if I want the DBM, or am I missing a nice aftermarket LA DBM stock somewhere?

Basic Member

Re: Long action vs. Short Action for DBM aftermarket stock

Love to see an answer to this as well. Picked up an LA in 300 win mag with DBM and would love to grab a decent stock.

82boy

The name of the game is supply and demand. The short actions are more popular, so stock makers makes stocks for what is popular. Savage is in the mist of making changes and the stock makers know this, so they are also hesitant in making a stock that will only fit a few guns. For example, with the new accu-stock guns they have moved the bolt release/cocking indicator from the side of the gun making the receiver completely round. I would imagine that one day all of the Savage line up will have this change.

You are in luck though, if you do find a stock you like you can send it of to SSS and he can cut the bottom out for a DBM. If you got a non-DBM gun, you would have to call them because I am not sure they would have the DBM parts on hand but they could get them.

Basic Member

I'm guessing maybe Stockade could do one up with the proper inlet. I fired off an email asking about the woodchuck. We'll see what he says.

Basic Member

Heard back from stockade today and they can do the woodchuck setup for Savage LA DBM . Lead time is about 14 weeks.

Team Savage

Stockade Gunstocks offers both Savage LA & SA synthetic stocks with cut out for center feed DBM or HFP. Likewise, Savage Shooter Supply offers laminated Savage LA & SA stocks with the cut out for center feed DBM and HFP magazines. Since the long action hole spacing (5") did not change when Savage went from stagger feed to the center feed, the other aftermarket LA stocks with blind magazines will work with a Savage LA centerfeed. These include Boyd's, Bell & Carlson. Stocky's has a good selection of theses.

Keep in mind, the DBM and HFP magazine assembly adds approximately 9 to 12 ounces more weight to your Savage verses the same stock with a blind magazine.

Basic Member

What is the standard weight of the Stockade Woodchuck?

About $50 more than my budget can take right now, but a small price to pay to get what I want.

Basic Member

I thought I saw a post on here a while back putting it at about 36oz. I'll see if I can dig that up later.