Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a crazy idea

Basic Member

Got a crazy idea

I was wondering how fast and how quiet (contradictatory I know) a 22 cal lead pellet would be, when shot out of a 223 barrel, using ONLY a #209 primer?

Let me state right off that I know a 209 doesn't fit in a 223 case, and that would be some of the idea, but am thinking if I could match the velocities and energy of the PCP air rifles (22cal pellet at 100-1200fps). The little lead pellet would be devastating and fairly quiet, I think, on the intended target, ground squirrels under 50yds.

I do not like the spring rifles and the CO2 rifles aren't fast enough, and the PCP rifles are too expensive.

I also realize this would NOT be considered an air rifle, it would still be a firearm with all the restrictions, but would be a LOT cheaper to shoot.

Would the 209 push it out the barrel hot enough? I have no idea how much oomph the 209 primers have. I am NOT interested in trying any powders in this setup. It would most likely melt the little pellet before it left the barrel, plus I am not interested in that kind of velocity.

outlawkyote

Re: Got a crazy idea

Shoot a primer out of a slingshot into a concrete wall and see how much power they have ;D They really go bang when they hit the concrete ;D

NLPeaden

Add a Marlin 39. It's an interesting idea that you have with the .223 case, but repeating would have to be bolt only since there's no power and not really any .223 Remington lever-actions.

Basic Member

Yea I just bought some of those tonight, but not for a Marlin lever (don't have one) but they will be manual cycled through a semi auto (I hope).

This idea has been rattling around in my head for quite a while. Not sure what a 22 pellet weighs but a lot lighter than a 30 or 39gr 22 slug, I'm sure.

Yes it would be bolt, and yes would be single loaded, but I have an idea to speed that up a bit, IF I got the kinda of performance I have in mind.

Outlaw,
    I have seen similar, and I know the 209 has a lot more power than most primers, that was why I was wondering. Might try a reg primer first, just as a base line.

I am thinking of turning a 223 case from something solid, with just a 22 cal hole down the center to keep the pressures up, rather than let it expand in the case body, and lose pressure velocity. If I make my own, I could design it for the 209 primer, and make it long enough to place a pellet close to the lands of the 223 chamber.

I thought about 22 blanks and a pellet in a 22 rifle, but I think the blank would be too powerful. Not looking for 2000fps, just 1000-1200 or so.

stevec

I bored out .22 rem cases to accept 209 primers and loaded with .22 cal pellets. Very accuraate out of my .222 and fun to shoot but can only get 450 fps Machining a solid case with jus a .22 hole through it may make it a bit faster but I dought it will reach the 1000fps mark.

Steve

outlawkyote

Put an O ring on the front of the brass (at the shoulder/neck junction) to keep from loosing pressure
    The primer wont have enough pressure to expand the brass to create a tight seal.

Eric in NC

http://www.mcace.com/

More "freebore" than a pellet would have, and you still have the problem with too fast of a twist for a lead bullet but you avoid the problems of blowing out the skirt on the air rifle pellet.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by outlawkyote
    Put an O ring on the front of the brass (at the shoulder/neck junction) to keep from loosing pressure
    The primer wont have enough pressure to expand the brass to create a tight seal.
    I was planning on using a fired brass, but I like the o ring idea. Gas sealing was a concern I had.

Stevec,
    Glad I'm not the only one with these wild ideas. How loud was it?

You could also fill a std case with cerosafe, and drill it out with a 1/4" drill down the center to increase the pressure, cheaper and easier than machining a new unit.

How did you swap primers?

stevec

I machined the primer hole a little loose soyou could seat them with your thumb but after they were fired had to use a punch to get them out.
    Home for lunch right now but this evening I will dig some up and post a pic.

Steve

stevec

[img width=600 height=450]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/stevecphoto/100_0690.jpg[/img]

You can see the punch I use to remove the pimers and seat the pellets(I put them in through the primer hole and give a light tap to flare the skirt and make a snug fit)

very quiet and accurrate just not fast enough. I have dispatched a few close range sparrows though.

Steve

sinman

why not use a large rifle magnum primer? they are suppose to have more power than the 209

stevec

Tried the large rifle mag primer and the pellet barely cleared the barrel.

Steve

louthedog

Time for just a snifter of powder??

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by louthedog
    Time for just a snifter of powder??
    Just filler up with bullseye and torch er off!

I have thought about a pinch of somthing but never have gotten around to it.

Steve

outlawkyote

Have you tried an O ring yet?

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by outlawkyote
    Have you tried an O ring yet?
    No, not yet. I havent messed with it in quite a while. every time I buy an action to "keep" my .222 barrel on I end up building somthing else!
    Steve

Basic Member

I wonder what a before and after chrono test with the o ring would produce. I'm sure it will up the velocity, just wonder how much.

When I get some free time I gotta try this one. For now those CB rounds are very accurate, but they will richochet way too easy, and even a 29gr slug will hurt something at those speeds.

knickia

slightly off topic, but anyone tried one of the Gamo 22 high velocity guns ? (seems like easier... and more law "friendly" :)

Or one of the slower subsonic systems would be quiet if that's a concern

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by knickia
    slightly off topic, but anyone tried one of the Gamo 22 high velocity guns ? (seems like easier... and more law "friendly" :)

Or one of the slower subsonic systems would be quiet if that's a concern
    My son has an AirForce 1100. Shoots great and @ 1100fps critters dont walk away but it dosent feel like a real rifle.

Steve

Basic Member

test

Sorry, was trying to resolve an issue. I did!

Basic Member

I had some primed brass that was splitting at the neck with full power loads so I had to use them for something else. I tried a few things then decided to put some 22 caliber bellets in the end of the case and used only the primer to launch them. They were very quiet and decently accurate out to 25 yards. Drop was about 5 inches but they grouped within an inch. No where near as fast as a 22lr but seemed a littel faster than CB's. The primers were CCI400's and my barrel is 18".

I have used Clays to load some slow stuff but it was inconsistent. I suspect you could use Trailboss and get better results because it is a fluffier powder, filling the case more.

Dolomite

Basic Member

It was common practice where i grew up to use a single shot .22. The way it was done is to remove the bullet from a .22 short, put a peice of cotten in it's place and a drop of wax to hold it there. Take a .22 cleaning rod cut to whatever length needed, insert in barrel and a peice of tape over the end of the barrel.

This is how unwanted critters were removed from the area very quietly, with a .22 long rifle it would penatrate a 2x4. blue

I used to put a small (smallest) lee dipper of 3F in my 22-250 with a standard primer and a Benjamin pellet for backyard duties as a kid. Worked like a charm. Don't forget to clean up real good when done playing.

If I remember right I think Benjamin used to sell 22 cal lead ball; might be something to think about.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Baja_Traveler

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...p?number=SBK1F Here is a .220 lead round ball you could use. They also have #TT Buckshot, which is .210" if it would work better...

220swifty

Sounds like something we have had here in Canada for a while now.

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast