Thread: DuraMaxx or Stockade Woodchuck

stevec

DuraMaxx or Stockade Woodchuck

Which one does everbody prefer?

How wide is the forearm on the Duramaxx.

How do they compare as far as stiffness and fit?

I have never handled either so any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: DuraMaxx or Stockade Woodchuck

I can only speak for the Duramaxx. The forearm is about 2.5" or so and is flat bottomed. The barrel will usually be cocked a bit to one side of the barrel channel on a Duramaxx. I recut the recoil shelf in front of the forward action screw/pillar on the opposite side of the directon it is cocked, then glass bed with a few layers of electrical tape on the barrel to keep it centered in the barrel channel while the epoxy dries. The Duramaxx is a good tactical/varmint style stock and is stiff enough for bipod use and can be shot off sandbags or a rest. They're priced right, the last one I bought from Brownell's was around $100 and shipping, I haven't checked lately to see if their prices have gone up.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

stevec

Thanks GaCop, I am wnting it for a varmint rifle so the stiff enough for a bypod sure helps. I had heard that they were a litttle off center before, but I will bed it anyway.

Thanks again, Steve

+1 on Duramaxx. Have not handled a Stockade, but I am very happy with my Duramaxx. Hopefully someday in the near future they will start making them for Centerfeed.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

KRP

The Duramaxxs I have are only ~1.75" wide at the forend. For the price they are a decent stock and good for a budget build. They aren't the drop in they claim to be, they need some work but I've never had a stock that didn't. The Woodchuck would definately be my preference though: wider beavertail forend, stiffer, and over all better construction and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by KRP
    The Duramaxxs I have are only ~1.75" wide at the forend. For the price they are a decent stock and good for a budget build. They aren't the drop in they claim to be, they need some work but I've never had a stock that didn't. The Woodchuck would definately be my preference though: wider beavertail forend, stiffer, and over all better construction and feel.
    Thanks for the correction. I wasn't near my stock when I guessed the forearm diameter.

I have a stockade and am very happy with it.It is light and rigid.I would compare it to a stepdown from a hs precision by weight and the quality is the same.You can get a good deal by out of the mold if you have time to sand and finish.The duramaxx is heavy and warped right out of the box.I wouldnt buy another if they were free.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

I've had experience with four Duramaxx and though they do take a little work to get the action centered, it's not anything thats overly difficult. Yes, they are too heavy for a hunting rifle but for tactical and varmint use, the weight is an asset. I have a number of laminate stocks that are heavier than the Duramaxx but again, for bench work that is a plus. It all boils down to what each of us feels comfortable with and performs well for our needs.

stevec

Thanks guys, After much indecision, I went with the "bobby hart" LRT from Stocky's. :D

I decided to go a little different route with the build.

Steve

You will definatly like that Hart LRT. Thats mine in my Avatar and I love the stock. I just hope to goodness you get your pillars and get the right stock showing up at your door. I am still waiting for the pillars I was charged for when I purchased my second one, and that was February. But thats another story.......

Good luck with that stock, you will like it.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM