Thread: Marking the barrel of a rebarrelled rifle? Required?

thomae

Marking the barrel of a rebarrelled rifle? Required?

I have searched the ATF regs, this forum, and some other forums and can not find any place that indicates that it is REQUIRED to mark the barrel of a re-barreled rifle with the appropriate caliber.

I fully realize it is a good idea to do so, and is another step in keeping things safe.

My question is: Is it required by law or ATF regulation, and if so, can you help me find the appropriate citation?

If I have missed the answer somewhere in my search, or if this has already been addressed, a simple link to the answer will suffice.

Thanks for your help.
    Happy Easter!

Basic Member

Re: Marking the barrel of a rebarrelled rifle? Required?

There is no law that requires that the caliber be stamped or etched or marked in any fashion. There is a federal law that requires a manufacturer or importer to have their name and location inscribed somewhere on the firearm in a conspicuous location. Other information is optional.
    A reputable gunsmith will always mark barrels they install with caliber, make and twist. Sometimes with a neck diameter if different from SAAMI spec.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

If you take it out of the country, you may be required to have it marked and ammo marked to match.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

lomfs24

Sharpshooter, you post caught my eye. My savage with original barrel had savage stamped on the barrel. But it does not have it stamped on the action...that I can recall. I have since re-barreled it and it now does not have those markings. Is that law no longer applicable since it has been re-barrel out of the control of Savage? Or should have information still be on the firearm somewhere?

Basic Member

The law only applies to the manufacturer. When it left the Savage plant, it was in accordance to the law. Once in the consumers hands, the manufacturer has no control of what modifications are done. Unless the gun is registered as a SBR, no markings are required. All of the target actions and varmint and sporter actions that are sold as "actions only" will have Savage Arms info on the receiver.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

thomae

Thanks for your replies. Sharpshooter, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.
    Cheers, and happy May day.