Thread: Leupold VX3 vs Sightron SIII

MikeMcC

Leupold VX3 vs Sightron SIII

Hey Guys,

I've just completed building a new Savage/Shilen .260 Remington build, and I'm looking to top it with some new optics. It will primarily be a bench gun spending time at 100-700 yards, but may see 1-2 white tail trips a year.

I'm looking for something in the 6-20ish power range, with around 100MOA of internal adjustment. I've got a Vari-X III mounted on a .223 bench gun that I absolutely love. I would buy another, but it doesn't have enough adjustment internally, and it's got the standard hunter turrets.

In the past I've had a VX3 8.5-25x50LRT on a 300 RUM that was a good scope, but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions. I also felt my older Vari-X III has better optical clarity, with just as precise adjustment.

I had all but settled on a new Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50LRT with a fine duplex reticle, but I've tried to keep an open mind and look at alternatives. To me the Leupold is a constant, a bench mark, and solid glass. That being said, I can't help but think it's slightly overpriced for what you get.

Over the past few days, I've been frantically searching for feedback & reviews on scopes in this relative price range ($700-$1000) with these features.

I've noticed the Sightron SIII series seems to be getting a good bit of publicity on several forums, and I wanted to get some feedback from those that have used them. I have seen them compared to Leupolds, NightForce (BR series mostly), and other high end optics. In most cases the reviews seem to indicate they are better than the Leupold and "on par" with a NightForce BR scope.

I don't have a Sightron dealer close to me, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you with an SIII and other high end optics. What would you do?

cwop

Re: Leupold VX3 vs Sightron SIII

my neighbor a champion shooter and hot p/d shooter claims the leupold efr is the best scope for the money.

bob

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcC
    In the past I've had a VX3 8.5-25x50LRT on a 300 RUM that was a good scope, but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions.
    I can't understand how the scope's optics could be responsible for this. Mirage is a function of thermal gradients in the air, not the scope you are looking through.

ICUDIEN

I would also take a look at the Vortex Viper PST I have looked through one and the only word that comes to mind is AMAZING!

Team Savage

I have a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 x 40 and the glass is very good, but it is not equal to the contrast and clarity of a Sightron SIII.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    I have a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 x 40 and the glass is very good, but it is not equal to the contrast and clarity of a Sightron SIII.
    +1

Mine is the 8.5-25 VXlll compared to 6-24 , 8-32 and a 10-50 Slll. The Sightrons all have better glass. I don't think you would be disapointed if you went with a Sightron.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member

I have 2 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes.For the money,they are the best scopes out there.
    As soon as I sell my Swarovski PH 4-16x50,I'll buy another Sightron to go on that rifle.
    Sightron is just that good...

beergoggles

i sold an illuminated vxIII 6-24x50 after shooting a rifle with a sightron scope at a competition. i suggest you try both out though, everyone's eyes are different, so it's impossible to say which one will look better to you. the sightron glass also looks better to me than night force, and the repeatability is just as good. the side focus is a little touchy as has been said before, and some say it has mushy clicks, mine does not.

helotaxi

I've yet to be impressed with ANY Leupold scope from an optical perspective, and then a glance at the price tag always makes me chuckle. Not with my money in this lifetime.

jwpark

Quote Originally Posted by ICUDIEN
    I would also take a look at the Vortex Viper PST I have looked through one and the only word that comes to mind is AMAZING!
    +1