Thread: Finally found my action!

Basic Member

Finally found my action!

After hunting for that sometimes elusive "GREAT DEAL," I found a few options.

First and foremost was buying an action from Jim up at Northland Shooters Supply. He is about 45min away from my home, but I was hesitant because EVERY SINGLE TIME I have bought a firearm since I got out of the Army (7 in total) I have been "Delayed" only to be cleared within 48hrs of the original NICS check. This would mean two round trips to get my action from Jim.

I then thought I would just have Jim send the action to my FFL and have him do the transfer, which came to just short of the two round trips. But, still I was looking at ~$250 for the action, barrel nut, and factory lug.

After a couple of weeks, I finally got the money together to order the action from Jim, and my FFL goes on vacation! Oh well, I will wait.

Last night the wife and I went down to take a gander at what Gander had in the way of pump shotguns. And sitting there on the rack was a Savage 111 in .300wm, blued with detachable mag. I didn't know if SF's came in detachable mags, so I looked closer. The bottom metal had the mag release and catch, and there was a large gap between the action and the bottom metal. Nothing connected the parts together. I think this is a CF, but I could be wrong.....

With all that said, was I correct in assuming the rifle is a CF? It is a non-accutrigger, but has no attached box to the bottom of the action. I compared the bottom metal with that on some of the new accutrigger models, and it looked very similar. Can someone post a pic of the inside of a CF detachable mag well?

Basic Member

Re: Finally found my action!

wow that is a great deal..

Forester

Re: Finally found my action!

Sounds like a Center feed...I bought one for a song when Sportsman's Warehouse went out of business here also in 300WM, also a DBM gun.

I stripped mine and sold the parts, the action has now been to SSS for a true and time job, one of his triggers, and their interupted bolt fluting. It is in a new boyds JRS thumbhole stock and waiting on me to get my act and parts together to get a new barrel, it seems to feed 270WSMs fine so I am going to build a 7mmWSM and use the long action to let me seat the heavy bullets on out to the lands and not use up case capacity.

The tough part is deciding if I should bite the bullet and try to make the cutout in the stock for the DBM and bottom metal...hate to mess this thing up.