Thread: I need a little assurance on a barrel dimension/order

MDHOGGER

I need a little assurance on a barrel dimension/order

I decided to do a 22Br and am going to replace the barrel on my existing custom rifle with the Savage Target Action. I have ordered my first reamer from PTG to get a chamber to match my bullets of choice and long neck Lapua brass. The existing barrel is a straight cylinder and varies a little bit in diameter from 1.118 in front of the barrel nut to 1.220" at the muzzle. I know the thread outside dimension for the large shank is 1.120" and I ordered a OD of 1.125". Did I ordered an adequate amount over the thread diameter to be safe. I ordered the barrel from Pac Nor and they state they will match a contour within .005". I would think with a straight cylinder they would have no problem turning my barrel very close to my specification.

MDHOGGER

Re: I need a little assurance on a barrel dimension/order

Okay guys I know there are a few of you that actually chamber and thread barrels and would be able to answer my question. I am going with a new gunsmith on this one and just wanted a little assurance that I was allowing enough excess diameter to be safe.

sinman

They will turn it to fit the barrel nut. I would of just ordered a straight 1.120"

MDHOGGER

sinman just to clarify I was going to have a local gunsmith chamber and thread the barrel. I don't know the order it is done- chamber/thread or thread/chamber. Also the blank will have to be cut to length and crowned. Since I am going to have my gunsmith do most the work does it make any sense to have Pac Nor thread it first for me. I do not know as I said the order these procedures are done. It does seem I have allowed enough extra diameter to the barrel to err on the side of caution.

RWO

The Savage thread spec for the target action is as follows:

1-1/8-20UN-3A is the thread designation. It is a unified thread with a 3A fit,(Pitch dia. limits are 1.089 - 1.091")

The thread is modified is to reduce the OD of the area under the locknut to 1.115" max.-1.110" min.. This means the crests of the barrel threads will be somewhat flattened. The thread length is 1.375 to 1.395. The max dimension from the barrel face to the bolt face is 0.130".

RWO