Thread: Looking For a Grip Cap

medefries

Looking For a Grip Cap

I have recently acquired a Savage 111 with synthetic stock in 7mm magnum. Sn is F341xxx to give an indication of age. This was in pretty rough shape, but it's a lefty for my grandson so I though I'd give it a try. The barrel had some rust and very slight pitting. The rest of the bluing was pretty well wore off. The stock had a large gouge in one side that fortunately missed the checkering. I disassembled the rifle and bolt assembly, removed the trigger, and bead blasted all the blued parts to white metal. After degreasing with brake cleaner and some MAF sensor cleaner to remove any residue, I heated each part with a hair dryer and applied Oxpho Blue. I am impressed! After three applications, all the metal looks like new. The bead blasting left a very fine matte surface that the bluing took to very well. Almost as black as the matte black scope.

I sanded out the deep scratch in the stock but couldn't get the surface to match no matter how fine a sandpaper I used. I found some Krylon Fusion in a speckled grey color that looked good, so I repainted the stock. The color is a bit different. but goes with the black metal well. The grandson likes it, so I'm happy.

Now the only problem is the grip cap is missing. I have searched Brownells, Midway, Numrich, and Savage. I found several, but none match the shape of this stock. It is an oval approx 1-1/4 by 1-5/8. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be a happy guy. Thanks.

medefries

Re: Looking For a Grip Cap

No ideas out there?

Team Savage

Midway & Brownell's both show a good selection. Midway under "Stock Making & Finishing" in their Catalog. Good list at Brownell's but no pictures listed under "Grip Caps". HTH, Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

bgc

Check Numrich also
    When I cant find a grip cap that fits i grind a standard cap or make one. McMaster-Carr and Grainger are a great source for raw material (Plastics and Metals)

Uncle Jack

Is this what you're looking for:

http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-s93.html

uj

tinkerer

I got one I just bought for a project. Thought it would be bigger, so I'm not going to use it. Black cap with silver emblem, new.

PM me for a deal.

Larry
    Tinkerer

medefries

Uncle Jack, that is exactly the one I am looking for. Thank you very much.
    Tinkerer, is the one you have the same as the one shown in Uncle Jack's link?
    Thanks to everyone for the responses.

tinkerer

Yep.

Larry
    Tinkerer

medefries

Tinkerer, I sent a PM but I'm not sure it works for me. Did you recieve the message?