Thread: Barrel Burners

Maxxwell86

Barrel Burners

There is info about barrel burner cartridges in various threads, but I haven't seen this info all together for comparison when deciding on a build.

Sooo, which non wildcat (i.e factory brass available) calibers are:

Real burners (1000-1500 rds typical), >
    Moderate burners (1500-2500 rds), :-\
    Slow burners (my name for them (2500-5000)) :D and
    No burners (5000+) ;D

Maxxwell86

Re: Barrel Burners

Guess nobody ever shout out a barrel here. ::)

Basic Member

here is my

7rem mag barrel burner

6x47l moderate barrel burner

.223 slow burner

9mm luger

6.5X284 is a notorious barrel burner.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

helotaxi

The WSSM cartridges are not known for long barrel life with the .223 being the worst of the lot.

Big cases and small bullets burn barrels. The worst are all wildcats.

Cases proportioned like the .223 and the 308 are relatively gentle. Most military rounds will fall into this category.

Straight-walled cases will have a barrel lasting longer than the shooter.

nuclabuyer

I would put a 30br on the no barrel burner list. I was reading on 6mmbr.com that none of the 30br professional shooters have ever shot one out. That is pretty good if you ask me.

DGD6MM

6CM - Slow Burner.

Personally I think it has MUCH more to do with rapid shot succession than anything else.
    Which is why I think that a correction needs mentioned... The WSSM's aren't really that bad, PROVIDED you have them Chrome lined like they should be/ are from Browning. Can't recall where I originally came across the info, but Browning also had the info restated on their site for a while. IF you chrome line the barrels, they are as long lived as MOST other high capacity cartridges out there. Especially if you read Hornady's man-well about the 223 WSSM. Their statements were taken as gospel, and no one remembered the part about them guessing SAAMI spec; nor that they didn't chrome line anything, when the original guns chambered for are ALL Chrome lined.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

cfvickers

Have you ever noticed that you never hear about hunters burning out a barrel? BR shooters fire a lot of ammunition in a very short amount of time. When your strings get over 3 shots your barrel wear compounds exponentially with every round fired. 5 isn't bad if you only do it on occasion. If you are not planning to use the gun in competition, there is no reason to look beyond the first three anyway. Yes, we all do it from time to time, competition shooters fire 5-10 rounds in rapid succession every time they pull it out, and that is often. The barrels get very hot, heat and pressure will wear anything out, anything. So that said, hunt with your favorite cartridge, you will most likely be fine. How often do you go shoot, do you let your barrel cool between strings? They don't have time for that. Darkker probably hit the nail on the head. the 223 wssm is known for burning barrels because .223 caliber rifles are usually fired many more times in a given day out shooting that the average guy with a 6.5-284 for a hunting rifle. I have a LRH in 6.5-284 and have put close to 700 rounds through it with no sign of decreased accuracy. 800-1000 rounds is about average for BR shooters with this round. I am betting I will go much further than that.

Glennster

I hear the 6.5/284 eats barrels. I have one with 800 rounds through it, still shoots great!!!
    BUT, let's try to define '' worn out barrel ''. For a bench rest guy or a guy shooting at 1,000 yards, if a barrel gives away a 1/4'' in accuracy, these guys say they're junk. Most of us would still love the accuracy that that worn out barrel produces. Most of the folks shooting the 6.5/284 are CRAZY about accuracy in competition, I suspect accuracy defined by them is different than what most of of us define it.

darker brings up a great point...... The matches I shoot with my 6.5/284 TORTURE the barrel, you have a short time to shoot, so you're force to ROAST the barrel. That has to shorten the life of the barrel.....

BTW - Screw barrel wear, I love the 6.5/284, it's very accurate and great at 1,000 yards..... I bought an extra barrel when I built that sucker!!!!

Uncle Jack

Most of my favorite cartridges are "Barrel Burners"......220 Swift, 22/6mm, 6.5/06, 264 Win, 300 Win.

As they say about a Ferrari; if you are concerned about mileage, you can't afford the car.

uj

blom

I just saw a reamer rental for a 22-284, that ought to toast a barrel in short order.

Basic Member

I dont really get it. with the nitride process out there, why would anyone worry about burning a barrel? Just have it treated and shoot it

Uncle Jack

A lot of people may have forgotten about the ultimate "Barrel Burner":

P. O. Ackley's ledendary ".22 Eargersplitten Loudenboomer"

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/201...-loudenboomer/

uj

I have read the ackley books,he was a genious period.As for the eargersplitten,it was just to prove it could be done.Ackley has influenced cartridge design as much as newton.The youngsters arent really into the old timers.One of my favorite cartridges is the .300 savage which you cant shoot the barrel out.I have just come over to the other side after 30 years with the .243 and barreled a reciever with the 6mmremington.What a delight to shoot.I would like to ackley the 6mm to get more out of it.I will wait till I tire of it,then again I may never tire of it. If you want a deer cartridge go .308 and .223AI for varmints and if you want something big,why not the 30-06 and ackley it or the .280ackley.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!