Thread: .223 and hollow points?

rhbrink

.223 and hollow points?

Just recently started putting a Savage together it was a .308 and have switched it over to a .223 got the barrel on and magazine in place in the stock with scope on ready to go to the range. I loaded up some ammo for starters and found that the hollow points, 60 grain Hornady and the 60 grain Sierra HPBT jam on the back of the barrel. They just barely catch before going into the chamber. Several spitzer bullets that I loaded seem to feed just fine. It doesn't make any difference as to OAL all the hollow points jam, any ideas?

375Win

Re: .223 and hollow points?

That's been a common problem for me with my wildcats on the 204 case. I've tweaked mag lips till I'm blue in the face. The shoulder of the case needs to hit the feed ramp before the bullet tip hits the chamber. I only have this problem with Large HP's SP's and plastic tipped bullets are small enough that they will clear the chamber edge. My factory barrels have a little more radius on the chamber mouth and feed HP's a little better than my custom barrels but I'm leery of putting more radius on them. Seating them shorter works for me if I really need to use them.

375Win

rhbrink

Thanks for the reply 375Win that is the problem as I see it the mouth of the chamber needs a bit more radius. I'm fine with shooting lead tip spitzers though and Sierra is one of my long time favorites little bit of old time school here. Them gummy tip color coded bullets just don't look right and the long range target bullets can be fed single shot, they are too long to work through the magazine anyway

helotaxi

My .308 (aftermarket barrel and stock) did the same thing until I removed the stock and left the magazine somewhat loose in the stock and let the action push it in rather than tightly seating it in the stock before installing the action. The magazine sits a little bit higher and the angle from the mag to the chamber isn't as severe. Feeds very smoothly now.