Thread: Chamber Casting

Lee C.

Chamber Casting

Last sat. i did my first chamber casting on an old army rifle useing cerrosafe. I found some articles on doing the job and the how too's of it. But i think i did some thing wrong and i would like some in put on it.

I had the rifle all cleaned up and i used a piece of cotton for a stop at 1-1/2" past the end of the case. I had a clear plastic hose through the chamber and small funnel on top of it. I melted the cerrosafe in a tin can and poured it in the funnel to the chamber. It was sticking in the funnel and hose some and i did put alittle to much cerrosafe in but the big problem was getting the casting out of the chamber. I let it set 5 minutes and had a hard time getting it out. I heated the chamber a little with a hair dryer and used an old cleaning rod to get it out finely.

The casting had some small holes in it but not real bad. Should you use some kind of a coating in the chamber so the cerrosafe dosen't stick in there or should i just not let it set so long be for i push the casting out ? What ever i did wrong you guys let me know or any help you can give me on this .I would be very greatful to any one thanks to every one for any help. Lee

Re: Chamber Casting

Cerrfosafe sets up pretty fast. You can usually push it out right after you pour it. Holes are normal so don't worry about those. I oil the chamber just before pouring and have an old brass cleaning rod in the bore at the plug so I can tap the casting loose and ease it out of the chamber. If there is pitting in the chamber, it makes tapping the casting out a pain in the butt.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Never really had one stick, but then I push them right out after I pour. If I use a funnel I make sure it is a very warm one.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Lee C.

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll keep in mine what you told me next time.

hcpyro13

I've coated my chambers I cast with some light oil before casting, always popped right out. Then again these were chambers that were new or under a hundred rounds. I could see where pitting could cause some difficulty.

-Jake

ellobo

Cerrosafe has a very low melting point so it solidifies quickly. I never use oil in the chamber as it is what causes those holes. On Savages it is best to do it with the barrel out of the reciever. Heat the chamber end of the barrel so it is hurtfull to touch. That lets the cerrosafe cool off more slowly. I have done this on a lot of stuff besides rifle barrels succesfuly using that method.
    El Lobo

MDHOGGER

As stated it is very easy to cast a Savage barrel when it is off the rifle/receiver. I do lightly oil the chamber but I also use a heat gun to gently warm the barrel, as this is suppose to make for a better cast. I did try casting a chamber with the barrel on the rifle and poured too much Cerrosafe in the chamber over flowing into the receiver and locking it into the receiver. I then had to heat it up again ad pour it back out. My thought was if I were to try casting a chamber again with the barrel installed I would first cast/fill the interior of a piece of brass to get the right volume of Cerrosafe to use. Then I would melt it out and recast it into the chamber insuring I would not have an excess of Cerrosafe to lock the casting.