Thread: Accustock

nwkman

Accustock

I have one for a heavy barrel CF DBM, two forward sling studs sans accuwedge. Anyone seen one like that? Old version or new version of the accustock?

ellobo

Re: Accustock

If no wedge it is a newer style. Savage dropped the wedge from the design.

El Lobo

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/img1301264980921.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/img1301264770676.jpg[/img]
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Boba Debt

Why did Savage drop the wedge from the design?

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Debt
    I don't know fro certain but I've heard they had a patent infringement problem with someone else. My January 2011 built Model 16 Accustock does not have the wedge.

Apparently this has been a problem for Savage as they also had to change the name of the "Edge" rifles to Axis because of a copyright problem. Their law department seems to need an overhaul. :)

nwkman

Thanks fellas

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Debt
    Because it caused more problems than it fixed. All the accu-wedge did was ensure that the recoil lug was against the back of the stock. You can do the same thing by having the but of the stock on the ground or a table and the muzzle up when you tighten the action screws. The accu-wedge caused accuracy problems, by placing stress on the action. Removing it was one of the best things they did.

bowhunter42

Ya but my question is how well is it to have the back of the lug against a piece of 1/2 in wide by 1/2 in tall aluminum? wouldnt it be better to have the entire lug supported?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter42
    Ya but my question is how well is it to have the back of the lug against a piece of 1/2 in wide by 1/2 in tall aluminum? wouldnt it be better to have the entire lug supported?
    It dont have to be, all that truly matters is the back half.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter42
    Recoil lugs are always butted up against the stock only at their rear face, usually against the stock wood or plastic or, if properly bedded, against the bedding material. The front face is not an issue as the recoil only loads the rear face of the lug

cfvickers

The wedge is a pain. It doesn't really cause accuracy problems, but it is difficult to get it set right. If you just screw it down tight it will certainly cause you accuracy problems. The main issue with it is that many times guns will leave the factory set right then as soon as a guy goes to adjust the trigger he just screwed it up and it is difficult to understand how to get it right again. and there is no perfect sequence of tightening the screws. You have to get the back one almost tight put some pressure on the wedge by tightening, then tighten your middle action screw down some, adjust your wedge again watching your stock to ensure it isn't canted and that you have even space on the left, right and bottom of the barrel, then when it is exactly right, tighten the action screw down and give the wedge screw another 1/4 turn. like I said, its a pain. and most people with an accustock will never figure it out or want to spend the necessary time to get it set right. Then after 20-30 rounds or going from heat to cold several times, it will move and you will need to readjust. I love my LRH and the accustock does what it is advertised to do, but it is at times more trouble than it is worth.

In the old days we just bedded the lug and did not clearance it unless it did not shoot well, then we would clearance the back or sides. If that failed we tried to bed a few more inches of barrel, add a pressure point to the front of the stock or full length bed the whole barrel. While it might take a few tries to get the right combo, it was easy to repete when cured.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

jmmec

A month ago I bought a new 116 (in .30-06) from savage-rifles.com and it is the AccuTrigger / AccuStock version. I called savage and found out that it was manufactured about 1.5 years ago (or so).

My "brand new" rifle has the wedge as described above, so it is the older version of the AccuStock. I don't know the lingo, but I've zeroed it at 100 yards and get, what I assume are, great groupings (less than 0.5" 3-shot groupings with cheap factory ammo). So I am not complaining about having the wedge, though I wished I would have known that the rifle was of the older design, but that is what you get with internet orders.

I don't think I'm going to mess with the trigger (make the pull a bit lighter) just because I'm worried about screwing up the AccuStock configuration.