Thread: bolt face conversion, need help!

Basic Member

bolt face conversion, need help!

I want to convert my 1980's era Savage 110 from 30-06 to 300 win mag. Where can I find the appropriate bolt face for my bolt? I see Midway sells small firing pin hole bolt faces but I think that only works with bolts from later rifles.

This gun started life as a 270 but my local gunsmith had a used 30-06 barrel that he installed for me. Cost of the barrel and install was $50. I was never really happy with the accuracy but then again, I had cheap optics back then so that could be the fault.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, can I use my existing extractor and ejector?

Oh, by the way, I will be using this on deer and elk in the Oregon rainforests. I would also like to use it for local 600yd shoots and maybe a match or 2. I plan on using a B&C stock with a Harris Bipod for the range and no bipod for hunting unless I end up shooting eastern Oregon.

I have a new Zeiss 3x-9x X 50mm with Rapid-Z 600 reticle that will be going on top of the rifle and I plan on installing an EGW one piece rail to the top of the receiver.

As far as my shooting abilities, I shoot M1A's with iron sights from 100 to 600yds, unsupported prone. My groupings range from .75" to 2", typically (5 shots). I have never had a good bolt gun and I'd like to make one from this Savage.

nwkman

Re: bolt face conversion, need help!

Basic Member

Thank you!!

Basic Member

Buy the bolthead at Midway and drill it out. If I remember right it takes a #25 bit. It's real simple.
    If I've got the bit wrong somebody will set me straight.

ellobo

2 things to look out for. Your rifle probably has a flat rear on the reciever. Make sure your rail is the right type. The bolt head probably has a groove in to accomodate a lump on the inside of the receiver, I forget why they are there but they did away with the groove and lump. Fred Moreo at SharpShooterSuppy told me to just grind the lump out if you get a bolthead with no groove. Dremel works fine but be carefull.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Yes, mine has the flat rear receiver. The serail number is E726XXX. I don't see a groove or lump on the locking lugs.

Basic Member

ellobo is right, forgot about the hump. It's inside the bolt body. It's for bolthead alingment.

Basic Member

oh, I see....

I guess I'l find out when I take it apart.

Varget 7-08

Will the bolt head form Midway fit with alteration on a Stevens 200?

I just had to dremel a notch in a newer bolt head for my striker. I am by no means a gunsmith and I was a bit nervous about it but, it works. This was going from a 243 to a 223 bolt so I also found out the firing pin hole was smaller on the 223 so I drilled it out. Broke one bit off in it but managed and it works.