Thread: What is a Fair Price for My 308 Savage Model 10 FCP-K

Boba Debt

What is a Fair Price for My 308 Savage Model 10 FCP-K

I decided to sell my rifle and the thread has received a lot of views but zero comments

So I must have it priced too high.

It’s a Model 10 FCP-K in 308 ($750) with a Choate Custom Tactical Stock ($455 and a long wait to get it)and a EGW scope Rail ($40)

Those prices don't include shipping, taxes or FFl fees

I have shot it less then 20 times

I would like to get $1200 for it but I'm guessing that won't happen

What is a fair price for this rifle?

[img width=600 height=216]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/Sav002.jpg[/img]

Re: What is a Fair Price for My 308 Savage Model 10 FCP-K

Sadly, you will never recoup what you have in it. In the end, you will be much more successful if you part it out. If your adamant you want to sell it complete, you may have to take a loss and ask in the $850-$900 range. In the long run your better off to part it out.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

TexasThunder

I have never been able to sell any of my guns for even close to what I have in them as a unit, Parting them out is the only way I have come close to recouping most of my investment. Part them out is difficult also, ppl don't want to pay anywhere close to what the parts are worth. So what I do is keep the original receipt, and mark the part at 80% of what I paid for it, then I send the original receipt or a copy with the part so the buyer knows he is getting a good deal. If the parts don't sell right now I just wrap them, when possible, put them in a plastic tub with an inventory list taped to the top, some I use for new projects and others never see the light of day again. It is almost as tough to get rid of a complete gun as it is to buy one. Yours looks like an excellent piece, I hope you get what you need out of it.

Boba Debt

That's crazy. I can make a big profit on a run of the mill Saiga 12 but can even come close to breaking even on this gun

Buyers should consider the cost of shipping or taxes and the long wait periods, I know I do.

I think I wanted 4 months to get this stock.

Having shot less then 20 rounds through it I'm almost mad enough to go out and put a 1000 down range just to cover the money I'm going to lose if I sell it.

Originally I wanted to trade the Choate Stock for a Accustock and some cash but no one seemed interested.

Is there something wrong with my Choate Stock.

I haven’t been following the aftermarket stocks for this but at the time this was the only Adjustable A-5 available for this rifle

D.ID

Nothing wrong with the stock but you have to consider $750 for a complete new rifle is one thing, $750 for a stockless rifle plus full value for the stock plus twenty down the barrel. The only market ready to pay full retail is the guy who wants that exact kit, has all the money up front(as opposed to spreading it out a piece at a time) and does not want to take the time to do it himself. The guy who is planning that exact set up can justify jumping on it, but he is always harder to find than people interested in a single component to step toward something similar.

Boba Debt

So I guess if I value the stockless action at about $600 and the stock at $450 (that's almost the same as retail but you don’t have to wait 2-4 months to get it) and the EGW scope rail at $30 that makes the rifle worth about $1080 to the right person.

EricCartmann

No offense, but I would rather pick up a brand new Savage-McMillan 10FCP from Buds for only $1100. No wait times involved and I get the stock that I want. Not just that but it's a brand new gun.

Boba Debt

That’s comparing figi apples to granny smith apples.

The McMillian stock has no adjustability other then adding spacers to adjust the LOP.

Other small differences -

It is the old style with the bolt release on the top, I think the bolt release on the bottom looks 1000% better

It has no compensator, not a big deal unless you want to add a can, in which case you have to pay the get the barrel threaded

EricCartmann

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Debt
    That’s comparing figi apples to granny smith apples.

The McMillian stock has no adjustability other then adding spacers to adjust the LOP.

Other small differences -

It is the old style with the bolt release on the top, I think the bolt release on the bottom looks 1000% better

It has no compensator, not a big deal unless you want to add a can, in which case you have to pay the get the barrel threaded
    The bolt release on top looks way better.

Also I don't mind those fabric cheekrest, they actually work pretty good. Add foam inserts to get the height you want and you have a cheekrest that stays put.

Savage McMillan from Buds $1080
    Professional Pillar and Bedding $130
    Threading a barrel $80
    BlackHawk Cheekrest $30
    EGW Scope mount $40
    Total: $1360

Brand New Gun, No Paypal fees, free shipping, and did I mention I get a brand new gun where the stock looks cool. No offense but your stock is butt ugly... but hey I understand, someone has to love Rosanne, not all of us have the same taste and like Kate Beckinsale.

If I were to sell this gun as is, I would ask probably only $1000. There was a guy on Snipers Hide that sold basically this same gun with the same features, and he included a 9-round SSS mag, all this for only $900!

For your gun, I would say $1000 also, but you probably won't even get that. Then again, you might because there are plenty of suckers out there, just don't go asking forums for our opinions because we will give it, and you might not like what we have to say.

[img width=600 height=372]http://images112.fotki.com/v189/photos/1/932051/9642762/SavageTanLawn-vi.jpg[/img]

Samdweezel05

Go order a new truck and wait 5 months for it to be built. $35,000. Pay the taxes on it. $2,800. Go drive it for 2,000 miles and then try and sell it. It's now worth about $28,000 even though you have $37,800 invested.

The last rifle I built, I sold before I even shot it.

$460 for target action
    $455 for Lothar Walther barrel and a 12 week wait
    $350 for Stockade LRBR stock out of the mold and a 10 week wait
    $150 in materials to finish and paint (base clear) above stock

$1415 total invested with out a single shot fired

$900 selling price is all I could get and I tried for 2 months to get that.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/samdweezel05/Guns/DSCF0114.jpg[/img]

EricCartmann

Quote Originally Posted by Samdweezel05
    Go order a new truck and wait 5 months for it to be built. $35,000. Pay the taxes on it. $2,800. Go drive it for 2,000 miles and then try and sell it. It's now worth about $28,000 even though you have $37,800 invested.

The last rifle I built, I sold before I even shot it.

$460 for target action
    $455 for Lothar Walther barrel and a 12 week wait
    $350 for Stockade LRBR stock out of the mold and a 10 week wait
    $150 in materials to finish and paint (base clear) above stock

$1415 total invested with out a single shot fired

$900 selling price is all I could get and I tried for 2 months to get that.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/samdweezel05/Guns/DSCF0114.jpg[/img]
    Wow that's a very nice gun and quite a deal!

Honestly, even if I were selling a $1300 gun to myself for $1000, I think I would balk a little even at that price. Why not just plunk down the extra $300 and get a new gun, stock, mount, etc, etc. Then again, I don't buy guns to sell them, I buy them to shoot them. If I don't like them, or if they served their usefulness, I am pretty much happy to get half my money back.

Basic Member

Sad to say this, but it is very hard to get a fair amount on a custom built gun, unless you're custom building for a customer. Most of the market wants a $300 rifle that they will bore sight before deer season, miss a deer, blame the rifle, then start the process all over again. That's why Savage will sell more of the Stevens and Axis line of rifles then their higher end rifles. Not much demand for them.

Is there any particular reason you want to sell your rifle?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Boba Debt

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    Sad to say this, but it is very hard to get a fair amount on a custom built gun, unless you're custom building for a customer. Most of the market wants a $300 rifle that they will bore sight before deer season, miss a deer, blame the rifle, then start the process all over again. That's why Savage will sell more of the Stevens and Axis line of rifles then their higher end rifles. Not much demand for them.

Is there any particular reason you want to sell your rifle?
    I actually think this is the best assessment of my situation, thanks for summing it up with out insulting me.

I'm bought this to do some long range target shooting and I soon discovered that bolt actions are not for me. I have 13 years in the Corps so I'm mor eused to 3 shots adjust and fire for effect.

Having to opperate the bolt between shots seemed slow and awkward.

I have two PTR-91 KFM4Rs coming and if I like them I'm going to get a MSG and customize it with a 24" barrel with compensator