Thread: Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 PA vs Viper 6-24x50 PST

GA-SURVEYOR

Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 PA vs Viper 6-24x50 PST

I need some help here I am looking for a new scope and have it narrowed down to vortex (based on reviews only no vortex dealers in my area with scopes to look through). However when comparing the vortex line I am wondering if it is worth the extra $$ for a PST. What are you guys thoughts? What about glass between the two, is the PST that much brighter? How are the Mil Dots on the regular viper? I would especially like to hear from the guys that have used both.

Thanks

Don - LongRangeSupply

Re: Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 PA vs Viper 6-24x50 PST

I have used both, they are both good scopes. The PST has quite a few improvements that may or may not matter to you.
    The main differences:

Std 30mm Viper / PST
    Caps on Knobs / No Caps
    6.5-20x / 4-24x
    68 moa travel / 65 moa (higher magnification usually means less travel)
    No sunshade / Sunshade Included
    14.5" - 21.6 oz / 15.5" - 23 oz
    3.1 to 3.3" eye relief / 4"+ eye relief
    2nd focal plan reticle only / 1st or 2nd plane reticles
    no illumination / illuminated reticle
    no zero stop / zero stop (uses shims under the knobs)

The nice thing about the new PST reticles, they don't have mil dots in them.

The reticles they offer are a huge improvement over the out dated mil dot reticles from years ago. The FFP EBR-1 for example has 30 MOA of holdover from the center in 2 MOA increments. No useless mil dots to obscure the target. I can't remember one time I used the actual DOT to range anything, rather the spacing between them. Their thickness is a hindrance rather than a help for me.

As for optical quality, my understanding is they are the same glass as the non PST versions. The PST has more advanced coating on the glass.

Slang

Re: Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 PA vs Viper 6-24x50 PST

Do you plan on dialing your shots or using holdover? If your gonna dial, then I would get the pst.

Personally, I like the mil dots, and use them to range often. I have the regular viper, and have been dialing my shots. I wish I woulda got the PST for the FFP and the zero stop. Remembering to be on 14x when ranging is just one more way to make a mistake, and getting "lost" on your elevation zero is never a good thing.

Hindsight is 20/20. It was hard for me to justify twice the cost at the time.