Thread: DUAL PORT TARGET ACTION AND 460 WEATHERBY

BTH

DUAL PORT TARGET ACTION AND 460 WEATHERBY

Hi Guys,

On the Dual Port Target Action can it handle the pressure of a 460 Weatherby ? And can you eject a loaded round out of that action or do you need to remove the bolt to remove a loaded round ? I know I need to open up the bolt head for the 460 Weatherby.

Thanks,

BTH

Team Savage

Re: DUAL PORT TARGET ACTION AND 460 WEATHERBY

If you dont mind me asking, what in the world are you going to do with a single shot 460W ??

358Hammer

Welcome BTH

If one uses one of the cut baffles made for the Rum case one can easily extract the 378/460 Weatherby cases from the action you are inquiring about. Loaded rounds are requiring a bolt release to remove the loaded cartridge.

Pressure comes from a number of areas. My 338 X 378 Weatherby can be driven to show pressure signs. The 460 and my 460 X 510 diameter bullet have yet to show pressure signs. Running both in the 55,000 pound area. ( Any SHot you want)

The Rum and the Short Mag cases are running at 60,000+ pounds of pressure. Since Savage is the only company I am aware of that offers the larger shank actions threads on production actions, I feel completely safe in shooting these cases. Since I am not hunting T-Rex I have had zero desire to push the larger Weatherby cases to the upper pressure areas.

SO in answering your question one can exceed pressure limits with most any cartridge.

Welcome to the forum

Neal

kweeks10045

You never know, one of those 100 yard targets might charge. You need at least 5000 ft lbs. of energy to stop them. Besides, the Weatherby is cheap to reload and is a dream to shoot all day at the range or in the pd fields. Shoot away my man!

Basic Member

Single shot 460 Weatherbys make sense.

It is the repeaters that cause questions.

Owner of six repeating 460 Weatherbys.

Team Savage

I can understand a 460W in a bolt action repeater or a double rifle, but not in a single shot. I just could not figure it out since when hunting dangerous game a follow up shot is as important as the first shot.

Personally I would rather have a 416 ruger loaded with a 400 grain TSX bullet.

Maybe the OP is building a necked down target rifle off that case.

Basic Member

If you dont mind me asking, what in the world are you going to do with a single shot 460W ??

Because now we've made them mad!

[img width=313 height=450]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/SASK-Black-TailedPrairieDog-01.jpg[/img]
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Team Savage

Oh, the little bastards have gotten tough.

This calls for drama prairie dog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by dfrosch
    This calls for drama prairie dog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs
    Now...That's funny right there!!

Wayne

Basic Member

You don't want to end up like poor Scratch!

Scratch and Pokey circa 1957, copywrited National Prarie Dog Herding Museum

Linus "Scratch" McGee (1929-1971)

Widely considered to be the greatest PD herder and guide of all time.

Reliable sources report that nearly 1 million PD's were eliminated by hunters under Scratches charge.

Linus McGee was born Jan 24, 1929 in Brooklyn, NY to Lester M. and Mildred McGee. His parents were circus performers by trade, but young Linus longed for the open spaces of the west. At the age of 16, Linus stole a horse from the circus that employed his parents and headed west.

After nearly two months of roaming, Linus settled in the sleepy town of Snake Bite, WY.

He was quickly befriended by the local folks who gave him his familiar handle "Scratch" for his constant digging at the "saddle rash" that he had acquired from his journey.

He was hired on as a hand for a local PD herding operation. That is where Scratch found his life's calling. He was soon the ranch's top herder. In 1949, he went out on his own and started Scratches Pairie Dog Herding and Guide Service.

Soon Scratch's talent was known nation wide. He booked hunts for many of the barons of industry from the east and even once guided for the Arch Duke of Slovenia

A long time friend of Scatch's recalls;

"Scratch didn't invent PD hearding, but he made it into an art form. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Scatch on his favorite mount "Pokey", charging thru a PD town, six gun a blazing, his yellow teeth shining in the mid day sun. It was a sight to behold."

On June 12 1971, Scratch succumbed to the sport he loved so much, when he was fatally gnawed by a wounded PD bull.

Eye witness reports recall that one of Scatch's clients had made a bad shot on a particularly large bull and that the wounded animal had made it into a sage brush gully nearby. Scratch dismounted, reloaded his 45 colt and headed into the thick cover.

The man who wounded the PD offered to go along with Scratch, but the herder would not allow it.

"This is something that I had best do alone." Scratch said.

After Scratch headed into the gully, there was complete silence for nearly twenty minutes. The assembled crowd strained to get a glimpse or hear a sound from the sage brush. Suddenly there was a blood curdling scream and several shots rang out. Then there was silence.

It took several minutes for the shooters to gather the courage to head into the gully and try and find what had happened. After about 5 minutes of searching, they found Scratch, mortally wounded with the largest PD bull that had ever been see in those parts, lying dead beside him.

With his last breath, Scratch smiled and whispered, "at least I kilt the bull that kilt me." With that, Scatch's head slumped sideways and he was gone.

After Mr. McGee's tragic death PD hearding was outlaw in most states (the lone exception being New Jersey), but it remains an integral part of our hunting tradition.

Scratch's battered black stetson and his chrome plated Colt 45 can be seen today in the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman