Thread: 40 MOA Base, sight in @ 100 yds?

RAGGED

40 MOA Base, sight in @ 100 yds?

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it would be possible to sight a rifle in at 100 yards if the base has a 40 moa slant, keeping in mind the scope only has a total of 45moa of elev. adjustment. I'f I'm thinking it thru right it would seem that it coudln't but I dont have a ton of experience with tapered bases. Thanks for the help!

Re: 40 MOA Base, sight in @ 100 yds?

I would have to say no also, but it could be really close. My Viper 6.5-20(68moa elev. adj.) is mounted on a 20moa base and zeroed at 100 yards it has 22moa left to go down. With yours have much less total adj. to start with it may not have enough to zero at 100.

Only one way to find out though...

Do you need a 40moa base? I would think that if you need that much cant then I would just zero it at 200 or 300

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Don - LongRangeSupply

Unless the scope / base / action alignment is way off in your favor (unlikely) you are going to come up short of down travel by 20 MOA or more for a 100 yard zero. You might not even be able to zero it with a 20 MOA base.

Using Burris Signature rings however, you might be able to get a 100 yard zero with that base. If it is a 1 piece base or if you use Signature rings with a two piece base, you can always shim the front of the base a bit to fine tune it even more.

RAGGED

Quote Originally Posted by Too may Savages, is that possible?
    Unless the scope / base / action alignment is way off in your favor (unlikely) you are going to come up short of down travel by 20 MOA or more for a 100 yard zero. You might not even be able to zero it with a 20 MOA base.

Using Burris Signature rings however, you might be able to get a 100 yard zero with that base. If it is a 1 piece base or if you use Signature rings with a two piece base, you can always shim the front of the base a bit to fine tune it even more.
    Thanks, that's what I came up with as well, its a 12-42 NF NXS that I have a NF Unimount on. I saw NF released a one piece base for the Savage and I was about to order it but it only comes in 20 MOA taper and the Unimount already has 20 in it so I'll just have to stick with the Warne base I have on there.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Maybe some day they will make a non sloped Unimount or offer non sloped bases..... I really do like that mount but if you have a sloped base then as you have noted, it is usually too much when you combine the two.