Thread: Range report on 10 FP...WOW!!!

Flatlander.54

Range report on 10 FP...WOW!!!

Well I tried the Savage 10FP out today, all I had available was some Remington 45 gr. Hollow Points so I wasnt expecting anything spectacular for this first outing.
    The first 5 shots strung out in a vertical string @ 100 yards...it was terrible! Then it dawned on me..."Take the bipod off." So I did...WOW! What a difference! 3 shot groups @ 100 yards that we were covering with a dime! I have never seen Remington 45 gr HP shoot this good.

Heres one of the 2" orange stick-on dots I was shooting at, I managed to peel this one off without tearing it to shreds. 3 shots measuring 9/16" outside to outside. This rifle is definately a keeper, can you imagine what some good quality handloads will do for this rifle?? These groups were shot using the first vertical Mil Dot above the crosshairs @ 100 yards to hit the orange dot. Which put the shots impacting 2-1/4" high at 100 yards when using the crosshairs. What would that be? About a 200 yard zero?
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/mhill69/Savage10-FP-1.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

Re: Range report on 10 FP...WOW!!!

One mil @ 100 yds. is 3.6 inches. So zeroing 1 mil low at 100 yds. puts you 3.6 high when aiming dead on, at 100 yds. Which, depending on the round you're using should be somewhere around a 310 to 320 yd. zero
    Stu

Basic Member

I have found a lot of fliers with the Remington 45 gr HP's. Several in a nice group and then a wild flier. I bet you have a real SHOOTER on your hands - congratulations!

Try some Sierra 1410's Match Kings - this is a great all around 223 bullet for targets and small varmints (prairie dogs and such). And before someone jumps on me for recommending 1410's for P-dogs ("Sierra does not recommend Match Kings for hunting"), the Sierra bulletsmith's do recommend this bullet for varmints and I have had positive experience with them in the field.

Keith

Nice job Flatlander. Welcome to the site. Looks like you got a shooter for sure.

If you wanna try the bipod again turn the bipod adapter around and it will move the bipod out to the end of the stock, which might give it better balance.

A friend of mine just bought a used 24" model 10fp, and it shoots just like yours, only using Ultramax 55gr SP ammo. Now his wears a B&C Medalist stock that used to be mine...LOL.
    And I just bought a 24" 10fp barrel but havent got a chance to shoot it yet. If it shoots like yours I'll be happy, and so will my son, although I was really wanting a 20" barrel instead of the 24".
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Flatlander.54

Yeah I was absolutely not expecting groups like this with the Rem. HP's, and it wasnt just one group either. I shot 4 other groups like the one pictured. Im not set up to reload right now...but I would love to be able to cook up some home rolled stuff for this rifle, its deffinately a shooter in my book if it will print groups like that with the cheapie Rem. ammo.

Flatlander.54

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Nice job Flatlander. Welcome to the site. Looks like you got a shooter for sure.

If you wanna try the bipod again turn the bipod adapter around and it will move the bipod out to the end of the stock, which might give it better balance.

A friend of mine just bought a used 24" model 10fp, and it shoots just like yours, only using Ultramax 55gr SP ammo. Now his wears a B&C Medalist stock that used to be mine...LOL.
    And I just bought a 24" 10fp barrel but havent got a chance to shoot it yet. If it shoots like yours I'll be happy, and so will my son, although I was really wanting a 20" barrel instead of the 24".
    Thanks for the welcome...I love the 20" barrel, if you want one ...get it, you wont be sorry. They handle/balance great and as you can see...you dont give up any accuracy. And...I will try the idea with the bipod, would be nice if it would shoot those little groups off the bipod.

Basic Member

I have never gotten good accuracy with a Savage plastic stock and a bipod. Not knocking the plastic stocks overall (I really like them on hard use / walking hunting guns) but they are often sensitive to how you hold the fore end.

Try taking the bipod off, rest the rifle on a sandbag just forward of the recoil lug where the stock is stiff, fire 3 rounds. Put the bipod back on the gun and fire 3 more rounds at the same target to test your gun. If you get two groups instead of one you most likely will never get good groups with that stock and a bipod.

Keith

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06

.. I just bought a 24" 10fp barrel but havent got a chance to shoot it yet. If it shoots like yours I'll be happy, and so will my son, although I was really wanting a 20" barrel instead of the 24".
    ..Just whack that 24" down to a 20"...lol...

Flatlander.54

Quote Originally Posted by kkeene
    I have never gotten good accuracy with a Savage plastic stock and a bipod. Not knocking the plastic stocks overall (I really like them on hard use / walking hunting guns) but they are often sensitive to how you hold the fore end.

Try taking the bipod off, rest the rifle on a sandbag just forward of the recoil lug where the stock is stiff, fire 3 rounds. Put the bipod back on the gun and fire 3 more rounds at the same target to test your gun. If you get two groups instead of one you most likely will never get good groups with that stock and a bipod.

Keith
    The stock is a Choate Ultimate Varmint...not the factory stock. Im going to play around with sliding the bipod rail foward to see if that makes a difference or not. The group in the pic, as well as the other really small groups I shot today...were shot after I removed the bipod.