Thread: Major NOOB question about Accu-Stock

saxart

Major NOOB question about Accu-Stock

I have a new 116 in 30-06 with the Accu-Stock that I have a question about.

The question is about the "free floating" barrel. It seems as though the stock is warpped such that there is a MAJOR gap on one side between the stock and the barrel and almost no gap on the other side. The stock is not touching the barrel on the "close" side, but is darn close!

Is this common to the accu-stocks, or did I get a "dud"? Is there a way to "fix" this situation?

Thanks! ;D

Re: Major NOOB question about Accu-Stock

Can't speak for the accustock first hand, but most of the synthetic factory stocks I have seen on the Savage/Stevens are that way. As long as it is not touching you are still free floating, and you can always shave a little off the close side to give you some extra room.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

82boy

Yup, it is common, loosen the action bolts and straighten the action in the stock, and then re-tighten them.

z71rat

My Accustock on my 10PC was the same way. I did the double check on the receiver alignment, but the end of the stock was just not straight. It wasn't terrible, but when I preloaded my bipod, it can touch if angled to the right. I took it apart and did a little twisting on the forearm. It helped it out greatly. It doens't touch anymore, regardless of preload.

I did notice though after paying such detailed attention to this problem, that even the Accustocks have too much deflection to them. Granted, this wouldn't be much of an issue at all if this was only a hunting rifle. But, I shoot ALOT more targets than I do animals, so it really does make a big difference to me. So with that, I have now decided to switch to a Manners MCS-T stock. So my Accystock will only be employed for a little while longer.

I really need to learn some patience though...

DK

bowhunter42

I had this same issue on my 116 and after playing with it for a couple of weeks I did a full length bed job on it I put two layers of tape on the barrel so it is still free floating, but from just behind the lug thru the first two inchs of barrel it is bedded solid. it will now shoot sub moa at 100. It added some weight and really stiffend the fore end, I also added an extra stud for a bi-pod. figured what did i have to lose cause i could always put a bell and carleson on it